Zidane: I'd rather die than apologize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zidane: I'd rather die than apologize

France legend Zinedine Zidane has said he "would rather die than apologise" to Marco Materazzi following his headbutt shame in the 2006 World Cup final.

He bowed out of the international scene with his head down following his assault against the Italian defender. And, whilst he apologises for his actions to the world, Zidane will never say sorry to Materazzi.

"Forgive me. Nothing changes, but I forgive everyone, but not him [Materazzi]. Never, Never...it would be a dishonour to myself. I would rather die," he told El Pais.

Zidane claims Materazzi repeatedly offended his mother until breaking point when he lost his temper in a moment of madness by flooring the Italian head on.

"I don't blame myself for what happened, but if I say sorry it would be admitting that what Materazzi did was normal," he added.

"He insulted me and he insulted my mother, who was ill, more than once and I didn't respond. But then, I did it [headbutted Materazzi].

"If it was a decent guy, a good guy like Kaka then I would have apologised, but not this."

LEGEND

Four years on, and Zidane speaks about it now. Matterazi deserved what coming to him, but i guess all players will provoke you at some point. Zidane lost his head, and possibly could've costed his team to defeat.

by the way..You missed an 'e' at his name, i thought you was talking about the egyptyian striker whos called zidan too.
    I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

I don't think Zidane cost France the gold

if anything, he drove them to the finals all by his own. his game vs. Brazil was outta this world.

Trezeguet would have taken a penalty regardless of Zidane's absence or presence, so it's safe to say Trezeguet cost France the cup

Comment

this topic again..lol...they were both wrong for what they did. I can understand why zidane wouldnt apologize and what materazzi did was just part of any sport unfortunately...or perhaps life...u cant lose ur cool at anyone who tries to test u. if u give in, it means u lost and they won and thats exactly what happened.

Comment

amen!

Comment

Originally posted by elnino99 View Post

if anything, he drove them to the finals all by his own. his game vs. Brazil was outta this world.

Trezeguet would have taken a penalty regardless of Zidane's absence or presence, so it's safe to say Trezeguet cost France the cup
            I know that he had few blistering performance vs Portugul and Brazil, but in a penalty shoot-out, you want your captain and your main player to be there.. Not only for inspiration but also to take one of the kicks. I was suprised both full-backs took the penalties(sagnol and abidal), but they were taken experetdly.. but the big striker trezegueat missed it.
            I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Originally posted by elnino99 View Post

He did take them to the final. But he also cost them the final. I remember watching the game: had he stayed on, a) it might not have gone to penalties, b) even if it had, he would have taken a penalty for his team. He would have scored. There would have been less pressure on his side. They may have come away with the gold...
              Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
              GazKhor

Comment

Originally posted by Daei_The_King View Post
                He did take them to the final. But he also cost them the final. I remember watching the game: had he stayed on, a) it might not have gone to penalties, b) even if it had, he would have taken a penalty for his team. He would have scored. There would have been less pressure on his side. They may have come away with the gold...
                I agree with the first part,however in the 5 penalties taken by France, I am sure Trezeguat was going to be 'one' of them, and he missed. Maybe Zidane would have replaced either Sagnol or Abidal, but both full-backs did score, credit to them.

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
                  I agree with the first part,however in the 5 penalties taken by France, I am sure Trezeguat was going to be 'one' of them, and he missed.

it was karma for euro 2000
                  italy should've won that...im so glad the stupid golden goal rule is out, not that penalties are much better but its more fair than golden goal

Comment

i blame sarcoszy

Comment

Originally posted by kaebi kabab View Post
                      i blame sarcoszy

he wasnt even president back then

Comment

Zidane could have also asked if he could sigheh materazzis sister aswell.
                        Humanity. Love. Earth.

Comment

I love how he hasn't backed down yet.

Comment

legend

One of the Greatest Legends Iran Football Ever Saw!
                            Team Melli: 1993-2010, Thank You Karim Bagheri.

18 titles, five European Cups - is Chelsea a bigger club?

Comment

Zidane made a grave error. He had been playing very well in the final up to that point. I can understand his frustrations and with his old age, the fatigue that would have set in and contributed to his loss of temper...

However, the fact is that France had a fighting chance of winning the final had he not been sent off. His action demoralised the team and effectively cost them the game, and I'm sure he regrets it no matter how much he insists he's not sorry for what happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X