World Cup Trivia/Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Trivia/Opinion

What's the biggest loss a team has suffered in the World Cup en route to winning the championship? When and against what team?
    What's the largest gap in years in between World Cup appearances for a team? What years and team?
    What's the lowest number of goals a World Cup finalist has scored en route to the championship game? Probably the answer for total and average goals will yield the same team/year.
    What player has played in two World Cup Championship games but represented a different country in each? What countries/years?
    Who was the first Asian team to play in the World Cup? What year?
    Who was the youngest player ever to get a red card in the World Cup? From what country, what year and how old?
    What player received a red card in a semifinal match and yet still played in the Final game? What country and year?
    Upon completion of their semifinal games, how many World Cups were guaranteed to have a first time champion?
    1950 USA 1 England 0
    0%
    1950 Uruguay 2 Brazil 1
    0%
    1954 Germany 3 Hungary 2
    0%
    1966 North Korea 1 Italy 0
    0%
    1982 Algeria 2 Germany 1
    0%
    1990 Cameroon 1 Argentina 0
    0%
    2002 Senegal 1 France 0
    0%
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

germany 8-0 saudi arabia

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Originally posted by shayan20 View Post
      germany 8-0 saudi arabia
      Yes, that is the answer to all of the questions in this thread, in addition to all of the questions of life.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        Yes, that is the answer to all of the questions in this thread, in addition to all of the questions of life.

Comment

s. korea beating spain and italy in world cup 2002 which was fixed

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
            s. korea beating spain and italy in world cup 2002 which was fixed
            That's exactly why I didn't include them. I would have if I thought they earned the result on the field.

Comment

I picked N.korea v italy.

But for me every world cup has one or 2 big upsets. One of the biggest ones I think was italy 3 brazil 2 in 1982, just ask any brazilian. Crazy game, if they played 10000 times brazil would have one them all but on that day italy did the impossible & won it.
              ...............................................sigpic..........................................00000000 0000000000000000000000000..HOWAY THE LADS

Comment

I think I should have made separate threads for the upset poll and the trivia. No one has even taken a crack at the trivia questions other than the guy who answered Germany 8 saudi arabia 0 to all of them.

Comment

If you look closely, NKorea's win was the biggest one as they eliminated Italy in that game from making the next round while the rest, are either not that much difference on paper b/w the teams, or are cases of one team beating the stronger team but not necessarily leading to eliminating the big boys in that single game.
                  sigpic
                  Salute to anyone who stands against these barbaric, inhumane and irrational laws of ANY religion.

Comment

Deleted so as to not spoil it for Farshad.

Comment

Here's what I've got so far. Gotta go now, I'll think about the rest later.
                      Originally posted by KC McElroy
                      What's the biggest loss a team has suffered in the World Cup en route to winning the championship? When and against what team?West Germany 1954 They lost 8-3 to mighty Hungarians but shocked them in the final 3-2
                      What's the largest gap in years in between World Cup appearances for a team? What years and team?Turkey, From 1954 to 2002
                      What's the lowest number of goals a World Cup finalist has scored en route to the championship game? Probably the answer for total and average goals will yield the same team/year. I'd say Uruguay 1950
                      What player has played in two World Cup Championship games but represented a different country in each? What countries/years? Cant' remember his name, but he played for both Yugoslavia 1990 and Croatia 1994
                      Who was the first Asian team to play in the World Cup? What year? 1966 North Korea
                      Who was the youngest player ever to get a red card in the World Cup? From what country, what year and how old?
                      What player received a red card in a semifinal match and yet still played in the Final game? What country and year?
                      Upon completion of their semifinal games, how many World Cups were guaranteed to have a first time champion?
                      Last edited by Farshad43; 06-10-2010, 04:59 AM.
                      مائیم و می و مطرب و این کنج خراب --- جان و دل و جام و جامه در رهن شراب --- فارق ز امید رحمت و بیم عذاب --- آسوده ز خاک و باد و از آتش و آب ----- حکیم عمر خیام

Comment

Originally posted by Farshad43 View Post
                        Here's what I've got so far. Gotta go now, I'll think about the rest later.
                        Good responses Farshad, you have some answers correct although the player for two countries had to play in the championship game of both tournaments, not just the group round. There are a number of players who have played for 2 countries in the World Cup but not in the Final for both.

Comment

The most shocking result has to be 1950's last match between Brazil and Uruguay. Brazil were playing in front of 200,000 cheering home fans (yeah you read it correctly, 200,000) which still is a record for any soccer match in the history of the games. Needing only a tie to win the cup, they scored first, but Uruguay stormed back to score two to shock the world and themselves to win their second world cup title. Brazil still remains the only WC champions never to win the cup on the home soil.
                          مائیم و می و مطرب و این کنج خراب --- جان و دل و جام و جامه در رهن شراب --- فارق ز امید رحمت و بیم عذاب --- آسوده ز خاک و باد و از آتش و آب ----- حکیم عمر خیام

Comment

Originally posted by Farshad43 View Post
                            The most shocking result has to be 1950's last match between Brazil and Uruguay. Brazil were playing in front of 200,000 cheering home fans (yeah you read it correctly, 200,000) which still is a record for any soccer match in the history of the games. Needing only a tie to win the cup, they scored first, but Uruguay stormed back to score two to shock the world and themselves to win their second world cup title. Brazil still remains the only WC champions never to win the cup on the home soil.
                            apparently ppl were committing suicide by throwing themselves off the rafters

thats the 1 i voted for

Comment

FACT:

every world cup final has been participated by atleast one of these teams; ITALY, BRAZIL, GERMANY, ARGENTINA

so each have about 1/4 of chance every world cup

Comment

Working...
                              X