Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maradona's naked ambition

Argentina coach makes World Cup vow

Diego Maradona has vowed to strip naked if he guides Argentina to World Cup glory in South Africa this summer.

Argentina are among the favourites for success at the showpiece tournament despite only scraping through the South American qualification programme.

And Maradona, who lifted the trophy as captain in 1986, claims he will streak around one of Buenos Aires' most famous landmarks should Argentina end their 24-year wait for the trophy.

He told reporters: "If we win the World Cup, I'll get naked and run around the city's Obelisk."
    Barcelona ace Lionel Messi will be under the spotlight this summer as he looks to transfer his club form to the international stage.

Messi was rested for the warm-up victory over Canada with Maradona unwilling to risk an untimely injury to his talented playmaker.

Maradona told Messi: "If something had happened to you in that match, I'd have been shot - you know where."
    Messi helped guide Barca to another La Liga title this season, having helped them secure the UEFA Champions League the previous term and now has his sights set on further success with Argentina.

He said: "I don't feel the pressure. The truth is I'm arriving in good shape.

"I have a strong desire to do as well as I can, as do my team-mates. We want to give our best for Argentina and we hope things turn out well.

"I won't change. I'll keep playing in the same way. I hope to be able to do what I do for Barcelona in the national team without my form suffering.

"I have also won everything individually and now I would like to do the same with Argentina."
    I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

even he knows himself that he will not win...thats why he made such a statement

Comment

Working...
    X