• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bookmark this page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...orld_cup_2010/

Comment

Gerrard covered few points:

- All three goalkeepers are working very hard.
      - Capello has spoken about the disclipine, and that you need 100% concentration at all times
      - Rooney is key to England, and we can't afford to miss him due any suspensions or booking.
      - He's very excited in captaining England in a World Cup. It was his dream lifting it, and he has the opportunity now. Of course, he will feel it for Rio, but will relish the opportunity.

For the whole interview, here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8732937.stm

England legend and BBC pundit Gary Linekar has also spoken about the captaincy and role of Steven Gerrard:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8732937.stm

Capello says he is sure of his first eleven:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8733006.stm

In the day, the players train. In the night, they either do table-tennis/snooker/PS3/XBox360..

Aside from their World Cup preparations, Carrick says the players have also found the time to unwind away from the pitch and the Manchester United man revealed an affinity for the green baize.

“I’m unbeaten at snooker,” he beamed. “I think Stevie’s [Steven Gerrard] meant to be a good player but I haven’t come across him yet.”

Can't wait for saturday night..
      I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

just placed a $2 bet on Gerrard to score a goal from olutside of penalty box against USA.

if he does, I'll get 20 in return lol

Comment

The United States will not set out to wind up Wayne Rooney in Group C's World Cup opener against England on Saturday, insists their manager Bob Bradley.

Rooney's temperament was questioned after he was given a warning by referee Jeff Selogilwe after being booked in a warm-up victory over Platinum Stars.

But Bradley denied his team would target the striker in Rustenburg

"I'm asked this a lot and no we won't try and wind him up. We don't get into that sort of thing," said Bradley.

Rooney - please calm down! okay?
          I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Venue: Rustenburg

Date: Saturday, 12 June 2010

Kick-off: 19:30 BST

Coverage: (UK) ITV and BBC Radio 5 live, live text commentary and video highlights on this website

TEAM NEWS

Joe Cole is expected to start on the left side of midfield in a reshuffle prompted by the absence of the injured Gareth Barry. Captain Steven Gerrard will move inside to partner Frank Lampard, with Aaron Lennon providing the pace on the right wing.

Manager Fabio Capello is thought to favour Rob Green in goal, Ledley King alongside John Terry in defence and Emile Heskey up front in support of Wayne Rooney.

USA coach Bob Bradley must decide whether to gamble on the fitness of key defender Oguchi Onyewu and powerful striker Jozy Altidore.

Onyewu ruptured a knee tendon last October and only made his comeback in the USA's friendly defeat by the Czech Republic on 26 May. Altidore has returned to full training after suffering a sprained ankle. In-form Edson Buddle could start up front, having scored his first international goals in the recent friendly win against Australia.
            MATCH PREVIEW

It is 60 years this month since a part-time dishwasher named Joe Gaetjens humiliated England and gave the United States the most famous victory in their history.

His winning goal in a World Cup group match helped eliminate an England side that, like now, was among the pre-tournament favourites. There is little danger of England underestimating the opposition on Saturday.

The Three Lions under Fabio Capello's supervision know they must be wary of an American side that continues to be adept at big game hunting. Just ask Spain, who had set a world record of 15 consecutive victories before being beaten by the US in South Africa at last summer's Confederations Cup. The US then nearly overcame top-ranked Brazil in the final, leading 2-0 before succumbing to a cruel defeat.

US goalkeeper Tim Howard has promised his side "are going to fight and claw" on Saturday. Capello will demand that England respond by bearing their teeth, as he himself has done in the dressing room and on the training pitch in recent weeks. Players and photographers alike have incurred his wrath.

England are the seeded team in the group and start as favourites, although several players are still auditioning for a regular starting role this summer.

The same can be said of the USA, who have failed with a cheeky bid to psych out England. The USA's new first-choice kit is based on the white one worn in the 1-0 victory over England at the 1950 World Cup, but they cannot wear it on Saturday as England are officially the home team and will play in white.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- The USA famously won the only previous competitive meeting between the two nations, with Joe Gaetjens scoring the decisive goal at the 1950 World Cup in Brazil. The USA's only other win against England was a 2-0 home victory in June 1993.

- England have won seven of their nine matches against the USA, including the last three.

England

- England have won all three of their internationals in 2010. They twice came from behind to win, against Egypt and Japan, having not previously managed to do so in four years.

- They have been held to more goalless draws than any other side in the history of the World Cup finals: nine of England's 55 matches have finished 0-0.

- Fabio Capello's side averaged 3.4 goals per game in the qualifying campaign, more than any other nation.

- Ledley King is poised to start a competitive England game for the first time in three years since he partnered John Terry in a 3-0 win against Estonia in a Euro 2008 qualifier.

USA

- The USA's victory over Australia in their final warm-up match ended a run of four straight defeats against other nations competing at this summer's World Cup.

- They have gone 10 games without keeping a clean sheet.

- They have conceded at least two goals in all eight of their previous opening World Cup matches.

- The United States were top scorers in the World Cup qualifying campaign with 42 goals in 18 games.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Carlos Simon (Brazil)

Assistants: Altemir Hausmann & Roberto Bratz (both Brazil)

Fourth official: Eddy Maillet (Seychelles)

Comment

England game tommorow

Comment

Emotions are high, The England USA game is going to make a big difference in the group

Comment

Oh my days.. I cannot even wait. The time is going flippen slow.
                  COME ON ENGLAND

Check the interview between Rooney and Shearer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8735540.stm

Comment

England will own usa
                    Last edited by unique football; 06-12-2010, 03:43 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unique football View Post
                      England win own usa
                      Enshallah !

Comment

Originally posted by unique football View Post
                        England will own usa
                        Why do you hate freedom?

"I'd take Dostoevsky out to dinner; I'd leave Rand a fake number"

Comment

What are you on about?

Comment

*** edited ***
                            and warned!

"I'd take Dostoevsky out to dinner; I'd leave Rand a fake number"

Comment

Originally posted by Daban View Post
                              *** edited ***
                              I appreciate it if you would edit that, because that was uncalled for. Show some respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Daban View Post
                                *** edited ***
                                stfu and get a grip

Comment

Working...
                                X