Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise score for World Cup referees

World Cup refs 96 percent accurate, 4 percent awful

Good news, everybody! The fact that horrible referee decisions have marred this World Cup in a very noticeable and reoccurring way has apparently been a figment of our collective imaginations. According to Jose Maria Garcia-Aranda, the former ref who now serves as FIFA's Head of Refereeing, analysis of all but the final two matches of the tournament has revealed that referees have been right 96 percent of the time.

Hooray! The facts prove that the refereeing was a "big success" and not an embarrassing failure most notable for high-profile and blatantly wrong disallowed goals, offside goals, and much, much more.

Reuters says that the study that produced these glowing numbers only "looked at key decisions such as free kicks, penalties and goal decisions but did not examine minor rulings such as throw-ins."

Referee for the Spain-Germany semifinal, Viktor Kassai, meanwhile, takes a more reasonable position on these results, saying that he's both not surprised by the high success rate and admits that improvements can always be made. If only they had some kind of technological advancement to help them work toward that...

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...urn=sow,255070

yeh bbc says this is the first time stats like this have been released which means that either this is the best they have been for a while or they are some cover up. To be honest, people exxagerate how bad the refereeing was, i thought it was above average, very hard to officiate 64 games without any big controversial decisions.

Comment

Arab referries were among the worst. It was stupied of FiFa to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Siavash View Post
        Arab referries were among the worst. It was stupied of FiFa to use them.
        The officials with the Iranian linesman? To be honest, I thought they were fine, except few decisions. They done the France-Mexico game very well..
        I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

today's ref should have given a red card to Holland player for his Karate kick.

Comment

The percentages are very misleading. I mean if only and only difficult and half-difficult calls were to be considered the percentages would have been somewhere in the 50-50 neighborhood.

IMHO the officiating was extremely poor in this world cup.
            مائیم و می و مطرب و این کنج خراب --- جان و دل و جام و جامه در رهن شراب --- فارق ز امید رحمت و بیم عذاب --- آسوده ز خاک و باد و از آتش و آب ----- حکیم عمر خیام

Comment

The refs were under a lot of pressure for sure.

Comment

best ref in the whole thing:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravshan_Irmatov

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                  yeah he was really good.
                  has he ever been the referee of an iran game or an iranian team in ACL?

btw i don't agree with this article most of the games i've seen in this world cup were affected by some stupid decisions

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                    I thought he was the most consistent and deserved a crack in the final.
                    I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
                      The officials with the Iranian linesman? To be honest, I thought they were fine, except few decisions. They done the France-Mexico game very well..
                      For sure they were not as bad as in WC2002. But, In the WC games Fifa must use the best that exist in the world. Fifa does not have to pick refs just because they are from certain continent.

Comment

Working...
                      X