The future of football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of football?

I think the future of football is some sort of the 4-2-3-1 variation. Most successful teams applied that formation in this world cup.

But what does it say about football? Remember when no one really had a holding midfielder just a few years ago? Then the 'Makalele role' became increasingly popular such as Aragones using Senna in the DM role at Euros. Now we're moving towards having a set of 2 holding/defensive midfielders. I don't like it.

discuss.
    I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

weve seen alot of negative football in this tournament
    WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

the way the spain held possession against germany and also holland in the first half was very impressive, they were like wall, solid as FCUK and they didnt budge, and at the same time created semi-decent chances....

the style may be frustrating for the opponent and its fans, but i think it was rather impressive, but then again to play such football you need high caliber players such as the spaniards.

Comment

i think mourinho would play 4-2-3-1 with madrid next season. i hate this formation !

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
          I think the future of football is some sort of the 4-2-3-1 variation. Most successful teams applied that formation in this world cup.
          But what does it say about football? Remember when no one really had a holding midfielder just a few years ago? Then the 'Makalele role' became increasingly popular such as Aragones using Senna in the DM role at Euros. Now we're moving towards having a set of 2 holding/defensive midfielders. I don't like it.
          discuss.

Im guessing you read jonathan wilson's column at the guardian?

I agree its the future but only for a short while. I'm sure by the euro 2012 there will be some new trend in formations.
          The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

Comment

Originally posted by soniq View Post
            the way the spain held possession against germany and also holland in the first half was very impressive, they were like wall, solid as FCUK and they didnt budge, and at the same time created semi-decent chances....

the style may be frustrating for the opponent and its fans, but i think it was rather impressive, but then again to play such football you need high caliber players such as the spaniards.
            It's not attractive futbol but there is something impressive about it. When Spain can just play keep away and neuralize the attack of Holland, or the counterattack of Germany that is impressive.

I know that more and more teams are going to go to this 4-2-3-1 formation. You really need tallented midfielders who can hold on to the ball. Actually when you think about it this formation mighit just be able to work in Iran. We've always been known for good midfield play and good strikers.

Comment

best formation ever: 4-3-2-1
              --------------xxx-----------------
              ---xxx---xxx-------xxx----xxx-----
              -------------xxxx-----------------
              ------xxx------------xxx----------
              ----xxx----------------xxx-------
              -------------xxxx----------------

Comment

i think spain was fukkin impressive how they managed to win all their knockout games, even when it seemed like its gonna end 0-0 they pulled thru and won the game deservingly.....i just think it needs to be perfected with some taller stronger players in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by mf_doom View Post
                  Im guessing you read jonathan wilson's column at the guardian?
                  I agree its the future but only for a short while. I'm sure by the euro 2012 there will be some new trend in formations.
                  lol, how did you know??

even man utd who love to play 4-4-2 and it's always in their tradition, but nowadays they have adopted 4-3-3 with rooney the lone striker..
                  I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

The future of football to me seemed to be YOUTH, SPEED & Tactical Decipline..!
                    Formations to me are chosen mostly based on how to beat a particular opponent & how it may suit your available squad..!
                    Those numbers aren't written in stone & rarely do teams keep their starting formation throughout a match..!

Comment

its more of a flexibility thing...in 4-2-3-1 you CAN have 2 wingers on each side, one from defense, the other from attacking midfield...and u have 2 defensive midfielders....also the attacking midfielders on the wings can turn into strikers....making it 4-3-3 so its flexible to 4-4-1-1 which is defensive to 4-3-3 which is attacking...

also teams that use 4-2-3-1 means usually they have one main striker and they all want to feed him, if in spain's example this WC, if torres would've played as good as villa, they would've kept 4-4-2 but since it didnt, they changed it to lone striker

sometimes theres too much gaps in 4-4-2 formations

------------ goalie ----------

-------- 4 defenDers --------

----- DM ---------- DM -----

winger -----------------winger--

---------- FW ---- FW --------

^ in that sometimes theres too much gap in midfield cuz of the wingers and they'll be too far up to help back on defense.....so 4-2-3-1 makes it flexible to keep switching between defense and offense so it hardly ever stays a true 4-2-3-1 formation

Comment

4-4-2 Diamond (4-1-2-1-2) is the best you have a defensive midfield and offensive one and can transition to a 4-3-3 very easily

Comment

Originally posted by radin119 View Post
                          4-4-2 Diamond (4-1-2-1-2) is the best you have a defensive midfield and offensive one and can transition to a 4-3-3 very easily

yes thats my fav....in fifa 10 i always play that

but problem is in real life most of the time u usually only have 1 DM which is not so good for defense

Comment

arsenal also had this formation this season after the departure of adebayor. I hate having 2 DMs or teams who play it but its good for us and still exciting cos only song is a real DM and diaby still goes forward. i think rafa had the formation a cuople seasons ago.

arsenals is more:

keeper and defence

--------Song
                            Diaby
                            ---------------fabregas

Nasri---------------Arshavin

--------Van persie

Comment

Working...
                            X