Iranian Running Badwater Ultramarathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iranian Running Badwater Ultramarathon

I dont know if any of you are familiar with the Badwater Ultramarathon, but it is one of the craziest sporting events in the world. It is a 135, yes 135 mile run... Starts at sea level (actually in a salt marsh below sea level) and finishes at one of the highest points in the US. So basically it is 135 miles all uphill.. and wait, it gets better. It takes place in July in Death Valley, where temperatures get up to 130 degrees.

Runners have to change shoes every 20-30 miles because it is so hot the soles of their shoes melt. In the past, runners have trained on treadmills in Saunas to prepare for the heat. It takes years to prepare oneself to run this race, and the more you read about it, the crazier it seems.

Anyways, there is an Iranian participating this year.. his name is Reza Baluchi. You can read about him at his website: http://www.runwithreza.org/

You can follow the badwater results here: http://www.badwater.com/2010web/

The race started 2 hours ago for Reza's heat, but as you can imagine takes over 24 hours for most people.. He is runner number 14 if you want to look for him in the pictures

I don't know if anyone cares.. but for those who do: Reza crossed mile 17 in 2 hours 30 mins..7th place overall at that point!

http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/resu..._eid=51&bwr=Go

Comment

every achievement of iranian is something to be proud of

Comment

he finished 34th overall...
        vali damesh garm

Comment

^no one has finished yet, idk what you are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by dcpp View Post
            he finished 34th overall...
            vali damesh garm
            no its not done yet

Reza crossed mile 72 at 21 hours, 41 minutes.. he was in 53rd place at the time. He is currently somewhere between miles 72 and 90.

The leader crossed mile 122 about 2 hours ago.. He has less than 10 miles to go.

Comment

sounds crazy

Comment

death vallley is seriuosly DEATH valley, especially in july AND running 135 miles??

vaghean dameshoon garm, even if u get last place i got respect for u to even finish that thing....just wow

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post

death vallley is seriuosly DEATH valley, especially in july AND running 135 miles??

vaghean dameshoon garm, even if u get last place i got respect for u to even finish that thing....just wow
                  the runners try to run on the white line so their shoes dont melt. They each have a support crew that follows them in a van and helps them by feeding them, spraying them with ice water, etc. Some runners have coffins filled with ice in the van that they go into for a few mins every few hours.

I read one story about a runner who thought he saw banana bread on the road.. he told hiimself that he was probably hallucinating (which happens often towards the end of the races). it turns out the person in front of him had eaten bananas and thrown up. the road was so hot it cooked it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Payam_Ali View Post
                    the runners try to run on the white line so their shoes dont melt. They each have a support crew that follows them in a van and helps them by feeding them, spraying them with ice water, etc. Some runners have coffins filled with ice in the van that they go into for a few mins every few hours.
                    I read one story about a runner who thought he saw banana bread on the road.. he told hiimself that he was probably hallucinating (which happens often towards the end of the races). it turns out the person in front of him had eaten bananas and thrown up. the road was so hot it cooked it lol

wow very interesting...i hope they have video footage

Comment

the guys website looks really pro LOL

Comment

he crossed mile 90 at 28 hours and 28 minutes.. next time checkpoint is at mile 122.. i can only imagine the mental and physical struggle he must be going through right now!

Comment

Reza finished! in 44 hours, 38 minutes, and 42 seconds

Comment

great! damesh garm vaghean

i wish these retard iranian tv stations would do a coverage on this instead of the bs they show

Comment

very well done to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X