Iran’s basketball captain warns of quiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran’s basketball captain warns of quiting

TEHRAN - Samad Nikkhah Bahrami has warned he will most likely quit Iran’s basketball team over unreasonable expectations from the national team.

Iran finished in fourth places in the four-a-side Stankovic Basketball Continental and Adidas Istanbul Basketball Cups last month.

“We were beaten by the strong opponents in the two tournaments. We chose them since we were not afraid of playing them. Iran could have played with weak teams but faced the world’s top teams such as Australia and Serbia to know our qualities and defects,” Nikkhah Bahrami said.

The 2010 FIBA World Championship will be held in Turkey from August 28 to September 12. Iran is in Group B along with the U.S., Slovenia, Tunisia, Croatia and Brazil.

“If we want to get good results in the 2010 FIBA World Championship, we need to play the world’s bests. Winning the title in the 2010 Asian Games in China is our goal but in Turkey we just want to put on a good performance,” the 27-year old year added.

“Iran is the Asian champion but it doesn’t mean we are able to beat the world’s great teams. In Turkey, we will not be under pressure to defeat our rivals. Of course, we will have to defeat Tunisia in the group stage. Unreasonable expectations are high at the moment and I will likely bid farewell to the national team,” Nikkhah Bahrami concluded
    http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=225359

My thoughts:
    Samad makes a great point. A lot of people are expecting Iran to do well at these tournaments (just read the stupid posts made by Iranians on fiba.com at how high of expectations they have) and I'm glad that Samad realizes this, as well as Haddadi who also made similar comments.

I HIGHLY doubt Bahrami will 'bid farewell' to the national team before the tournament.

There is nothing wrong of him saying they will be competitive but to bid farewell to the team in just weeks of the FIBA championship is a disgrace and makes Iran look very weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkie View Post
      There is nothing wrong of him saying they will be competitive but to bid farewell to the team in just weeks of the FIBA championship is a disgrace and makes Iran look very weak.
      without him, the team would be very weak

Comment

Will Hadadi be playing?

Comment

3 days to go guys, best of luck against Brasil! is Iran sending their A-team?
          Go Cows!

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
            Will Hadadi be playing?
            yes but Samad and Afagh won't

http://www.iranbasketball.org/News/a...ws.asp?id=8224

Comment

wtf ?

tell me this is bs from iranian media...why would he quit the team before the most important tournament of their lives. Thats completely stupid and childish, who cares what some people say. This will be a disgrace and he'll make iran look stupid. Not a good move at all.

Comment

i also got confirmation from someone within the team that afagh and bahrami won't be playing...

Comment

Weird on the news they said that behrami is injured....?!?!?

Comment

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng...8/article.html

TEHRAN (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Iran have suffered a devastating blow just days before the start of the FIBA World Championship with injury knocking captain Samad Nikkhah Bahrami out of the tournament.

Iran’s Basketball Federation confirmed his absence, saying the outstanding small forward/shooting guard needed a month to recover.

The FIBA Asia champions have also lost Hamed Afagh to injury, according to the federation’s website.

Iran are in Group B of the FIBA World Championship in Istanbul and will go up against the United States, Slovenia, Brazil, Croatia and Tunisia.

Samad averaged 18 points, 4.8 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game at the FIBA Asia Championship last year in China.

Afagh poured in 14 points per game for the Iranians in their second straight Asian gold-medal winning performance.

Comment

ya i thought we had a chance of winning a game or two but never mind ooh that game against usa is looking scary

Comment

and things keep getting worse

Comment

just wow

this is very sad, we are completely fuuukkked

Comment

Working...
                          X