Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 2012 Qualifiers: Germany 3 - Turkey 0 [Report + Video]

October 8, 2010

BERLIN (AFP) - Germany's young Turk Mesut Ozil scored in his side's 3-0 win over Turkey in Friday's Euro 2012 qualifier to keep Joachim Loew's side top of Group A with three straight wins.

"The team showed they really wanted this and we have earned a deserved victory," said Loew.

"I hadn't expected to win by such a big amount, because it was always going to be a difficult game. For the Turks, the game was always going to be a matter of honour."

With a maximum nine points, Germany are in firm control of the group while Guus Hiddink-coached Turkey are second on six and suffered their first defeat of the qualifying campaign.

"I think we did our best to hold the Germans, but we had our problems. We made a few mistakes, especially for the third goal," admitted Hiddink.

"But the Germans played very well, we missed a good chance through Halil and you need to convert those against a team like Germany.

"My team is still young and have much to learn.

"The team needs to learn not to sit back and to take their chances when they come. That was the difference between the two teams."

Germany born-and-bred to Turkish parents, Ozil, 21, was booed by boisterous Turkish fans who made up more than half of the 74,244-capacity Olympic Stadium crowd, but he silenced the jeers with a 79th-minute goal to seal the win.

The hosts had taken the lead when veteran striker Miroslav Klose scored just before half-time and the Bayern Munich star slotted his second on 87 minutes.

Remarkably, Klose has yet to score a goal in the Bundesliga this season after seven matches, but he has now netted five times in three internationals already this season in Euro 2012 qualifiers.

The 32-year-old's second just before the final whistle and was his 57th goal in his 104th international, passing Franz Beckenbauer's mark of 103, to put him clear second behind Gerd Mueller's all-time record of 68 goals for Germany.

"We are all glad that we won the game," said Klose.

"I have no idea why I am scoring for the national team and not Bayern.

"I ask myself that every time: I have a bit of luck here which I am lacking with Bayern sometimes.

"Although I have now over-taken Franz Beckenbauer in terms of the number of international matches, but there will always be something special about the Beckenbauer name."

There were only three changes from the team which beat Argentina 4-0 in the World Cup quarter-finals before finishing third and the Germans kept the Turks under constant pressure.

Germany made the brighter start with Klose and Ozil having the best of the chances in the opening 15 minutes with both squandering clear chances to beat Turkey goalkeeper Volkan Demirel of Fenerbahce.

Besiktas' Mehmet Aurelio was stretchered off after 22 minutes with what looked like a serious leg injury following a clash with Toni Kroos when the pair went for the ball and he made to make way for Stoke City's Tuncay Sanli.

The opening goal came on 42 minutes and it was a Bayern Munich-inspired effort as Lahm swung in a cross from deep.

Munich's Thomas Mueller's header was saved by Demirel, but clattered off the crossbar and Klose was on hand to header home after netting twice against Azerbaijan and once against Belgium in last month's wins.

Turkey's Eintracht Frankfurt striker Halil Altintop squandered a golden chance to put his side level on 53 minutes when he found himself one-on-one with Germany's Manuel Neuer only to fire straight at the goalkeeper.

Likewise, Lukas Podolski wasted the perfect chance to make it 2-0 when he fired wide after the perfect pass from Ozil left him alone in front of goal on 69 minutes while Mueller fired at Demirel on 73 minutes.

Ozil scored his third goal for his country with nearly ten minutes before Klose struck again to claim the three points.

In the next round of matches, Germany take on Kazahkstan in Astana on Tuesday bidding for their fourth win, while Turkey travel to Baku to play Azerbaijan.

sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

A "Black Turk??" Who's that guy? Is he a nutralized Brazilian or something??
    مائیم و می و مطرب و این کنج خراب --- جان و دل و جام و جامه در رهن شراب --- فارق ز امید رحمت و بیم عذاب --- آسوده ز خاک و باد و از آتش و آب ----- حکیم عمر خیام

Comment

OMG Germany played soo good, it's just a fest watching them play!

BARCELONA-IRAAAN-PERSPOLIS
      CITY

Comment

Originally posted by Farshad43 View Post
        A "Black Turk??" Who's that guy? Is he a nutralized Brazilian or something??
        Yeah Brazilian guy, now named Mehmet Aurelio. Used to play for Fenerbahce, then moved to Spain and now plays at Besiktas.
        Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

I was in the Stadium, what a unbelievable atmosphere.

Comment

saw the highlights, this was supposed to be a home game for germany?
            there were boos everytime they touched the ball

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

now iranians complain about people like dejagah....imagine how turks feel about ozil

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                now iranians complain about people like dejagah....imagine how turks feel about ozil
                ye but they already have a few german born turks, the altintop twins and sahin of dortmund.

Comment

Germany 3-0 Turkey
                  Brazil 3-0 Iran

Comment

lol that was a home match for Turkey considering how many turks live here.

The commentator was just funny. The german fans started to chant: "You can drive home" after 1 or 2 goals and he just said, "well, many of them wont have a long way to go back home"
                    Formerly known as Persianking!
                    Follow me @
                    instagram/iranscout
                    instagram/nariman_iranscout

Comment

Originally posted by TM4LIFE View Post
                      Germany 3-0 Turkey
                      Brazil 3-0 Iran
                      South Korea 3-0 Germany

Korea vs. Germany Video

Comment

Originally posted by DRCha View Post