Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Had A Nice 5 Minute Conversation With Shane Battier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Had A Nice 5 Minute Conversation With Shane Battier!

half an hour ago I went to have lunch in this place in houston and the place is in a very hidden place called "mission burrito" (its like chipotle for those of who know about chipotle). what let up to this is even crazier which I am gonna talk about later but. I got out of my car went to the front door and at the same time this really tall guy with white shirt and a blue Duke logo came by so I left the door open and when I went behind him to order I noticed it was Shane Battier!

So I couldn't resist and I said to him nice 3 yesterday and he was very humble and nice and responded thank you very much! I introduced myself and we shook hands. The funny thing is I didnt even watch the game I just heard about it

anyways while we were waiting for our turn I said: I am a laker and Kobe fan so naturally dont like the spurs and I hope you guys win and laughed but then I said of course I have even a stronger bias since I am Iranian and a big Hamed fan to which he responded and I am quoting this, "oh Hamed is great, he is an awsome guy, very very nice person".

Houston is about 200 miles away from San antonio so I was sure the team wasn't there but since he had been just traded from the rockets I asked him so are you in town to visit friends? and he said no actually my daughter was born (this place is literally a few blocks from the medical center) so I congratulated him and felt even very stupid cuz I remembered reading about his daughter being born yesterday.

So we ordered and picked up our food and then while waiting to pay in the next line 2 kids in their 20's came by and congratulated him on his 3pointer and birth of his daughter. Unlike me they had the presence of mind I guess!

So I told him there are certain players that everyone likes and he is one of them and I even told him, lets just say if it was paul pierce or shaq there instead of him, I woulda probably not said anything at all to which laughed (very hard! ) I guess he knew what I meant.

coolest thing was when I went to get my salsa from the salsa bar my back was towards him and he could have easily walked out but he tapped on my shoulder and said, "it was nice to meet you Shar, take care"! which just shows you how nice and classy of a guy he is. I turned around and told him nice to meet you too and see you against OKC he then winked smiled and left. Later when i was eating my burrito I thought I shoulda asked for an autograph for pooya (ghormehsabzi)!

the craziest thing and this has happened to me many times in my life and I have ahd this conversation with many friends many times about how this CANNOT be a coincidence and something has to be in the universe supporting this phenomenon. I was actually thinking about him minutes before I met him. The reason was I listening to espn radio and Bruce bowen was on and was talking about effective defense on Kobe so naturally I started thinking about battier and how he had advice last year for grant hill in the western conference finals and literally 1 minute later I met him.
    Last edited by persianbruin; 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM.
    ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
    Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
    Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
    midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
    forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
    Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Well good thing you weren't thinking of him stripping you and forcing you to dance naked in the burrito place right before you met him.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      Well good thing you weren't thinking of him stripping you and forcing you to dance naked in the burrito place right before you met him.
      dam how did you know??? dont tell anyone!
      ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
      Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
      Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
      midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
      forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
      Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

cool story, he seems like a very classy guy unlike many other nba players. That thabeet-battier trade was a steal for grizzlies, i cant believe houston fell for it, looks like they dont really do their homework. lol

Comment

There was a great article in the NYT a few years ago on Battier. It's a good read especially if you're into statistics and how teams benefit from a player like him.

The No-Stats All-Star
          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/ma...Battier-t.html
          راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

a couple years back when he was playing for the rockets i met him too. i had courtside seats to the knicks vs rockets game and during the pre-game shoot around the ball bounced off the rim and came to me and i passed it back to shane and he looked at me and was like "come on man, take a shot lets see what you got".....showed how nice of a guy he is and he has a personality. its good to have people like this around hamed who can make him feel comfortable.
            Team Meli Iran
            Perspolis FC
            Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

wow he sounds like a really nice guy, and he is a great defender, one of the few kobe stoppers out there
              sigpic

Comment

One of my all time favorite personalities in the NBA, if not my favorite.

Comment

How was the burrito? Steak or Chicken? Guac, sour cream? Do you like it spicy or mild?

Comment

He could possibly be the next NBA commissioner. There are several articles that say NBA commissioner Stern is grooming Battier to replace him in the future. He's a wonderful person and is educated.

Comment

i dont even know a single thing about basketball but i enjoyed your story. Guy seems like a humble dude , thats nice.

Comment

duke graduates usually become good individuals out of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by arash123 View Post
                          duke graduates usually become good individuals out of the court.
                          yes, that's very true, grant hill is another type of those players
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X