Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Iran never seems to invest in the Winter Olympics sports??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come Iran never seems to invest in the Winter Olympics sports??

I do not recall Iran ever winning a medal at a Winter Olympics, and this is given the fact that a third of the country is covered with mountains, there is a fair amount of snow every year, and many sky-goers in Iran as well.

The next competition is in the early 2014 in Russia. I certainly hope Iran would prepare a small team of competitive athletes sent to that competition and seriously try to win a few medals. Iran can even send a Curling team.

Tell us what you think. I believe having a good winter sports program in the country will be a means of representing our people at the international level every 4 years, an opportunity that has been consistently squandered...!
    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Only the wealthiest of the wealthy in Iran participate in Olympic sports. Its not popular at the grassroots level to have a large pool to select from.

Comment

because summer olympics are more cared about and more popular

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
        Only the wealthiest of the wealthy in Iran participate in Olympic sports. Its not popular at the grassroots level to have a large pool to select from.
        All they need is a small group that can be sent to Europe for training in maybe 4 or 5 winter sport areas. For instance South Korea gets most of their medals in Ice Skating and Speed Skating. It has to be a long term undertaking but it is very neat for Iran to be able to get a couple of medals in Russia 2014. They already send a team but they don't train seriously...
        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

I would say that's the case for most countries, except for the people who live in ski resort towns, ie. the Shemshaki family.
          راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

What Nokhodi said.

Comment

Only the wealthiest of the wealthy in Iran participate in winter sports. Its not popular at the grassroots level to have a large pool to select from.
              Corrected by myself

Comment

Working...
              X