Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBA 2011-12 Season discussion (Your opinions on the Lockout?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No basketball makes me sad...

Comment

players went from 57% of BRI to 50....that should have been more than enough...imo the players misplayed their hand at the end, they shouldve made a counter offer instead of flat out rejecting it, but i cant BELIEVE that a 7% increase in the owners BRI wasnt enough. Thats crazy

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
        shame on these rich cry baby bastards......there will probably be NO NBA season cuz of some minor crap

this means THOUSANDS of jobless people this year cuz these rich people dont wanna take a little paycut and downgrade from driving a $300K car to a $250K car
        I hope you are talking about the owners and not the players.

Comment

The NBA has cemented its role in the American sports world as a joke. Stadium attendance has been waning (the averages have fallen behind the MLS for **** sake), television viewership has taken a back seat to both MLB and NFL, the referee scandal happened, and now this lockout has the league losing fans like never before. It's going to be a few years before I'll start caring about the NBA again. It was already heading in that direction for me recently, when seeing the same players get the same star calls over and over and over again finally struck a nerve and I realized what kind of a joke the whole league was... which is a shame, I suppose, given that basketball was my first true athletic love.

College Basketball is where it's at, and arguably has been for a long time. The players are young so they make the kind of mistakes you would make if you were on the court, there's a more diverse talent pool, everyone's got good players and bad players, no behemoth monster calls, better fan culture, March Madness makes for some of the most exciting times and matchups in all sports, etc.
          "A craftsman pulled a reed from the reedbed, cut holes in it, and called it a human being.
          Since then, it's been wailing a tender agony of parting, never mentioning the skill that gave it life as a flute." -- Rumi

Good thoughts, good words, good deeds.

"Iranians are poets and tend to use language as though it were paint, to be spread out, blended, swirled. Words can be presented as pieces in a puzzle, pieces that may or may not fit together neatly." - New York Times

Comment

Originally posted by Makan View Post
            Stadium attendance has been waning (the averages have fallen behind the MLS for **** sake),.
            I couldnt believe that so i had to look it up...http://articles.businessinsider.com/...mls-attendance

WOW thats crazy...statistically not a fair comparison at all but I still cant believe it. Thats some racket baseball has going for em...162 games a team, 30,000 ppl for each game...makes me sick

but college basketball sucks lol

Comment

Originally posted by nypimpofpersia34 View Post
              but college basketball sucks lol
              I used to think the exact same thing. I always felt that by halftime you already knew who would win, because the matchups always seemed so lop-sided. But I started watching NCAAB quite religiously just last year, and I was amazed to see how many great, very close, games there were. I also seriously watched March Madness for the first time in my whole life, and it was an exceptionally dramatic experience through and through.

The College game also has better fan culture and stadium atmosphere, something the NBA has had huge problems with. I wish the NBA could go back to what it was in the 90's.
              "A craftsman pulled a reed from the reedbed, cut holes in it, and called it a human being.
              Since then, it's been wailing a tender agony of parting, never mentioning the skill that gave it life as a flute." -- Rumi

"Iranians are poets and tend to use language as though it were paint, to be spread out, blended, swirled. Words can be presented as pieces in a puzzle, pieces that may or may not fit together neatly." - New York Times

Comment

The NBA and the Players Association have reached a tentative agreement to end the five-month old lockout and start the league’s 2011-12 season on Dec. 25.
                After 16 hours of negotiations Friday, the two sides reached a handshake agreement a little after 3 a.m. ET in New York. Both sides must still get a majority vote from the 29 owners and 450 players to finalize the agreement – as well as negotiate a series of smaller issues like a drug testing policy.
                The owners made “significant moves” toward the players on several important system issues that long separated the two sides, a union source told Yahoo! Sports Saturday morning. “There’s still some tweaking to those that needs to be done,” the source said.
                http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ut_ends-112611

Comment

Comment

FA and Training Camp will begin on December 9; 66 game season will begin on December 25th, Christmas day.

Edit: My new favorite gif

Comment

xmas day lamers vs bulls... wish i could make it to that game

Comment

isnt dec. 25th also miami vs. dallas?? that would be sweet cuz miami would have to watch dallas' ring ceremony

Comment

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/
                          Chris Paul will likely be traded to the Golden State Warriors within the next few days according to sources familiar with the Hornets internal decision making. Wonder why I say that? Among other reasons (Mr. Sources #4 told me), the team has supposedly been preparing biographies for players who would not be inbound if Paul weren’t on the trading block as well as drafts of press releases in case certain trades take place. Why do that if you aren’t preparing for a blockbuster trade?
                          The most likely team to acquire CP3, the Warriors, will reportedly offer Stephen Curry, Ekpe Udoh, and Klay Thompson as primary pieces of a deal regardless of whether or not their ownership is guaranteed that Chris Paul will re-sign. As Michael said, the Hornets are and should be very high on Curry.
                          Babak is high on life right now Damn I cant wait to see Curry unleash in a team without a chucker like Monta

Comment

Paul won't give extension commitment to Warriors, Clippers
                            Chris Paul will not commit to signing a contract extension after this season with either the Golden State Warriors or Los Angeles Clippers if he is traded to either team by the New Orleans Hornets, citing the potential financial hit if he were to do that rather than becoming a free agent and signing a new deal with a new team next summer, according to league sources. That has left potential deals with both teams in limbo.

It was not known Wednesday if Paul had similar reluctance to sign an extension after this season with the Lakers, who are also involved in trade talks with the Hornets for Paul.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/12/07/chris-paul-extension/index.html

Curry says he’s ‘safe and secure’ with Warriors

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Stephen Curry woke up Wednesday morning to a flurry of text messages from friends and family back home wondering about the trade talk surrounding the Golden State Warriors point guard.
                            “Seven text messages saying `Hornets, question mark,”’ Curry said, chuckling.
                            With the latest round of NBA chatter surrounding the point guard, Curry said that he has been told by Warriors general manager Larry Riley and new coach Mark Jackson that he is “safe and secure” with the only franchise he has ever known.

At least for now.
                            http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...warriors-curry

Comment

Well, well, well... I guess after the ugly fiasco known as the NBA lockout was concluded, commissioner David Stern and the owners of the league got together and discussed what ELSE they could do to completely **** everything up.

The deal that would've sent CP3 to L.A. and Gasol to Houston got vetoed for exceptionally shady reasons, and THEN Houston was coerced into paying even MORE to N.O. for the exact same player (Gasol) that they were going to receive before, even AFTER everybody thought that the Hornets had already received a decent deal. Talks are prolonged up until a point where LOS ANGELES pulls out because they think THEY'RE paying "too much", and Houston is left high and dry with their original deal vetoed and a disgruntled Kevin Martin, and New Orleans gets nothing and is also stuck with a disgruntled CP3.

Then Mark Cuban, the outspoken idjit from Dallas who had opposed the 3-team trade, accepts Lamar Odom from the Lakers (who was originally intended to go to New Orleans) for peanuts, fully aware that the Lakers are trying to make a salary dump in order to strongly pursue Dwight Howard (oh, and I thought this was about NOT getting players for cheap?!). This begs the question, if Cuban didn't want a team like the Lakers to get ANOTHER star player for a cheap price, then why the **** is he enabling them to pursue Dwight Howard? Why the **** is he accepting Lamar Odom for virtually nada? As long as the mf'er pigeonholes the Rockets and the Hornets, he doesn't give a damn what happens with the Lakers as long as HE gets something out of it. God damn hypocrites and a god damn gross display of overreaching your power and authority from both the owners of the league AND David Stern. To boot, Stern came out and tried to say that New Orleans was the one that changed its mind. Really? They changed their minds when THEY [the organization and Demps] were the ones to agree to the deal originally? Obviously the league got pissed cause the Lakers were getting Paul, so Stern comes in, mucks it up, and needs a scapegoat so he says N.O. changed their minds. He then proceeds to SCREW Houston in the ass by demanding THEY offer MORE youth and MORE picks when THEY'RE not even the ones getting Chris Paul! They're just stuck with Gasol and are essentially facilitating the entire trade between New Orleans and Los Angeles!

Stupid shit, man. What a freaking joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Makan View Post
                                Well, well, well... I guess after the ugly fiasco known as the NBA lockout was concluded, commissioner David Stern and the owners of the league got together and discussed what ELSE they could do to completely **** everything up.

The deal that would've sent CP3 to L.A. and Gasol to Houston got vetoed for exceptionally shady reasons, and THEN Houston was coerced into paying even MORE to N.O. for the exact same player (Gasol) that they were going to receive before, even AFTER everybody thought that the Hornets had already received a decent deal. Talks are prolonged up until a point where LOS ANGELES pulls out because they think THEY'RE paying "too much", and Houston is left high and dry with their original deal vetoed and a disgruntled Kevin Martin, and New Orleans gets nothing and is also stuck with a disgruntled CP3.

Then Mark Cuban, the outspoken idjit from Dallas who had opposed the 3-team trade, accepts Lamar Odom from the Lakers (who was originally intended to go to New Orleans) for peanuts, fully aware that the Lakers are trying to make a salary dump in order to strongly pursue Dwight Howard (oh, and I thought this was about NOT getting players for cheap?!). This begs the question, if Cuban didn't want a team like the Lakers to get ANOTHER star player for a cheap price, then why the **** is he enabling them to pursue Dwight Howard? Why the **** is he accepting Lamar Odom for virtually nada? As long as the mf'er pigeonholes the Rockets and the Hornets, he doesn't give a damn what happens with the Lakers as long as HE gets something out of it. God damn hypocrites and a god damn gross display of overreaching your power and authority from both the owners of the league AND David Stern. To boot, Stern came out and tried to say that New Orleans was the one that changed its mind. Really? They changed their minds when THEY [the organization and Demps] were the ones to agree to the deal originally? Obviously the league got pissed cause the Lakers were getting Paul, so Stern comes in, mucks it up, and needs a scapegoat so he says N.O. changed their minds. He then proceeds to SCREW Houston in the ass by demanding THEY offer MORE youth and MORE picks when THEY'RE not even the ones getting Chris Paul! They're just stuck with Gasol and are essentially facilitating the entire trade between New Orleans and Los Angeles!

Stupid shit, man. What a freaking joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X