No announcement yet.

2011 William Jones Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so how many teams qualify for olympics after asian championships? is it 2 or 3 teams?

ya iran's basketball still have some ways to go...we need to start by having ACTUAL basketball courts everywhere, i hardly see them in iran....only chance we have at olympics is if bahrami and afagh make a comeback, we are not deep enough to make it far without them

Comment

^only one asian team can make it. the champion...and china will probably win it since it's hosted there. the only other chance iran has is if it makes the final and loses it and gets invited to the 2012 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketb...ummer_Olympics

Comment

lol ok then no way we'll make it

so the championship is in china again?? thats kind of unfair but i gues they are the only ones that can throw a decent venue, them and korea....

Comment

Aug. 9: Iran 84-55 United Arab Emirates

I didn't watch the game but I hope Iran is saving its big guns since this is a very tiresome tourney where you play 8-9 days in a row!
          Iran plays Malaysia tomorrow.

Comment

Here is a boxscore for the UAE game

http://wjc.basketball-tpe.org/files/...2794-10000.php

No Haddadi and Kamrani in this game.

Well guys i think you're not familiar with asian teams at all to be honest.Go see Iran's results in 2007 and 2009 jones cup before the asian championships.We won gold in both major tournaments.I remember Samad playing in 2009 jones cup and we still lost to Korea with a margin of 10. So don't even try to judge based on friendlies. As i've been tracking Iran's basketball for some years now i know they play friendlies as they are now.

And about not having a chance at all.China isn't the same team without Yao anymore.We beat them easily in the final game by 20 in 2009.

We will get better no doubt about that.
            As you said i take the Jordan game pretty serious,as i hate losing to any west asian team.

Comment

Originally posted by behzadir View Post
              Here is a boxscore for the UAE game
              http://wjc.basketball-tpe.org/files/...2794-10000.php
              No Haddadi and Kamrani in this game.
              Well guys i think you're not familiar with asian teams at all to be honest.Go see Iran's results in 2007 and 2009 jones cup before the asian championships.We won gold in both major tournaments.I remember Samad playing in 2009 jones cup and we still lost to Korea with a margin of 10. So don't even try to judge based on friendlies. As i've been tracking Iran's basketball for some years now i know they play friendlies as they are now.
              And about not having a chance at all.China isn't the same team without Yao anymore.We beat them easily in the final game by 20 in 2009.
              We will get better no doubt about that.
              As you said i take the Jordan game pretty serious,as i hate losing to any west asian team.
              wow UAE must really suck. kardoust got 20+ points

thanks for the info. Yeah I'm aware of some of those things but it's just making me nervous because I want to see Iran in Olympics so bad It would be one team sport to watch/support.

Yeah the rivalry between Jordan and Iran is still hot after haddadi elbowed and knocked down one of their players

any idea if afagh and bahrami will be fit enough to feature in the asian championship? arsalan kazemi, any chances of coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Farhad-7 View Post
                wow UAE must really suck. kardoust got 20+ points

thanks for the info. Yeah I'm aware of some of those things but it's just making me nervous because I want to see Iran in Olympics so bad It would be one team sport to watch/support.

Yeah the rivalry between Jordan and Iran is still hot after haddadi elbowed and knocked down one of their players

any idea if afagh and bahrami will be fit enough to feature in the asian championship? arsalan kazemi, any chances of coming?
                Well Afagh seems to be ok,i guess he might play in the last 2 games in the jones cup.

Samad needs 2 weeks to rest his foot,so he is staying in Tehran.Afagh will be fit for the asian championship but Samad's situation isn't clear right now.

As for Arsalan the chance is really slim as Rice didn't give permission for him to play.But lately,i've heard that with Arsalan's willingness and through the olympic commitee of Iran the head of Basketball federation has wrote a letter to Rice university to let him play.We will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Farhad-7 View Post
                  arsalan kazemi, any chances of coming?

no way, even if they let him he shouldnt come, he's at a very critical point of his career, his junior year in NCAA, he needs to impress as much as he can so he can enter nba draft next summer (that is if its not on lock still LOL) If not the year after he's done with his senior year.
                  i much rather see him in nba than us winning asian championship, just to lose all our olympic games LOL

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                    no way, even if they let him he shouldnt come, he's at a very critical point of his career, his junior year in NCAA, he needs to impress as much as he can so he can enter nba draft next summer (that is if its not on lock still LOL) If not the year after he's done with his senior year.
                    i much rather see him in nba than us winning asian championship, just to lose all our olympic games LOL
                    lol i totally wasn't thinking about that. so true

Comment

As much as i love to see an Iranian player in the NBA,i won't ever sacrifice winning an olympic slot for just one player to be in NBA. Arsalan doesn't want that either and he has told Mashhoun(Iran's basketball federation chief) to do so and write the letter. Arsalan playing in the olympics will be better than anything he can do in his junior year with Rice.

If we can win the trophy without him,that will be optimal

Comment

Playing in the Olympics might open up a career in NBA as well.

Wasn't Haddadi picked up by the Grizzlies after the Olympics in Beijing 2008...?

Comment

Arsalan's a good kid. He's thinking of the team, not just himself.

Comment

Kazemi can still miss the asian championship and play in olympics if iran wins...but if he misses his school and goes to asian championship and we dont win it all...we wont make olympics and he wont get much playing time in college cuz he missed the first month or so....and it'll be all bad for him, no ncaa exposure and no olympics

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            Playing in the Olympics might open up a career in NBA as well.

Wasn't Haddadi picked up by the Grizzlies after the Olympics in Beijing 2008...?

thats because haddadi is a center which is rare in nba these days, its different for a player like kazemi that nba has a lot of

YES it will be great for him but its better if he plays NCAA, he will get more noticed there. Iran wont get much notice in olympics cuz they're not that good and most likely will lose all the games. They pay attention to teams that do good and players that stand out. If we go up against US in olympics its a higher chance but really kazemi goin to this thing is more risky than to have a good outcome

Comment

any games today?
                              IRI = FAILED

Comment

Originally posted by persian-eagle-13 View Post
                                any games today?
                                yeah there was. i missed it.
                                iran played malaysia winning 69-49.

malaysia is a very weak team. iran should have scored more. they probably rested key players for the taiwan and jordan game im guessing.

iran plays taiwan (hosts) tomorrow at 7PM (GMT+8)

heres how the the round robin stands. the top 4 make the semis.
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_William_Jones_Cup

interesting how iran easily beat japan but the japanese nearly beat korea and beat one of the favorite teams, jordan.

Comment

Working...
                                X