Iran Basketball NT Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran Basketball NT Thread

Well guys i think it will be good to have a thread dedicated to basketball after all. Feel free to discuss and bring on news about our basketball "Team Melli".

To start off i have a bad news,and that is Saman Veisi will miss the Asian Championship as he says himself. Here is a link in Farsi of him talking about his injury.
    http://isna.ir/ISNA/NewsView.aspx?ID...1829205&Lang=P

The team arrived in Iran yesterday and they will have 8-9 days off before starting their trainings again. I think the rest is much needed as our players are injury prone after playing 9 games in 9 days.

P.S: China's small forward Wang Shipeng got injured last night against Australia in the 2012 Olympic test event. He broke his arm and will miss the Asian Championship. He is a crucial player to them,so a big blow for the Chinese.

good thread
    especially since asian championship is coming up soon for the 2 time asian champions trying to make it a third and i'm sure you will keep us updated with recovering players and team news

Comment

If we have have our full team for the asian championship i think we will easily win it. Kamrani,Nikkah Bahrami,Afagh,Kazemi,Haddadi thats a scary lineup. But unfortunitely doesnt seem like kazemi is aloud to play.

Comment

so who are the real threats? china, korea, jordan right? everyone else should be whatever

i really hope samad bahrami and afagh play so we could win...it'll be amazing seeing them in olympics next year, hopefully we get drawn with US again that way kazemi can show himself off again for the NBA scouts....and that sux that asia only gets 1 spot

Comment

Originally posted by ali alipour View Post
          If we have have our full team for the asian championship i think we will easily win it. Kamrani,Nikkah Bahrami,Afagh,Kazemi,Haddadi thats a scary lineup. But unfortunitely doesnt seem like kazemi is aloud to play.
          well sahakian isn't that bad especially in defense if kazemi can't make it. we can still be a big threat to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by ali alipour View Post
            With this lineup we should easily earn a spot in London. And by easily i mean EASILY. This is the best possible lineup you could get in Asia right now.
            Seems things for Arsalan are 50-50. He will go back to the US this saturday to talk thinks over with Rice university officials. What he's asking is a 12 day off to be available for the team just for the games in China. No trainings with the team before that. Still that is precious for us.

Without Arsalan we still have a great chance having Kamrani and Afagh back fully fit. Veisi is out and Samad's injury is still uncertain. He will start to train with the team next week.

Arsalan's draft will be before next years London games,so the olympic games won't help him on that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
              so who are the real threats? china, korea, jordan right? everyone else should be whatever
              Well to me the only real threat is China. They play against their own crowd and are preparing well for the cup. Their only misfortune is the large toll of injuries on hand. They are starting to get worried on this issue.

Losing to any team other than China is a huge failure. The South Korea tea we saw is their most complete team,Same goes with Jordan who featured Rasheim Wright as their naturalized player again. Their loan absentee was Ayman Aidas(Center) who from what i've heard isn't going to play in the Asian Championship due to injury. So the Jordanian team was nearly complete too.
              Lebanon won't be a good team this year as they will be playing with some new youngsters(A new generation as they say). No Fadi Al Khatib and no Rony Fahed makes them tooth less. They still haven't made a decision on who their naturalized Center will be with less than a month to go to the games in Wuhan.

So,all in all it's Iran and China for the gold i guess.

Comment

Iran's coach and the federation are now 'offically' in talks with Rice University to allow Arsalan Kazemi to play. (this no longer has anything to do with the petition online)

Source: Arsalan Kazemi

Kazemi and Bahrami are going to be really important if we really want to win this. Kazemi will play a big roll on the starting five with his bursts of energy and defensive ability to shut players down/steals (he's probably one of the most physical players on the team, so I can see him playing longer than anyone on our team) . Bahrami and his shooting is crucial! We need both these guys!

Comment

that would be sick to have both kazemi and bahrami on the same court, i dont think we've ever done that cuz in the WC bahrami couldnt play

if arsalan is only missing 12 days then its ok

Comment

i wish iran basketball federation go after ali farokhmanesh who played in ncaa. iran badly needs a 3 point shooter, and ali is a guy who can help in that department. last year before the world cup, iran went after ali but i do not know what happen after that.
                    IRI = FAILED

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                      that would be sick to have both kazemi and bahrami on the same court, i dont think we've ever done that cuz in the WC bahrami couldnt play

if arsalan is only missing 12 days then its ok
                      hell yeah, we would have so much more depth with those two. our team would be explosive maaaaan

Rice's dean needs to hurry on and give us an answer by friday on AK, if not im going to show up to his office with a 'ghame'

Comment

Originally posted by persian-eagle-13 View Post
                        i wish iran basketball federation go after ali farokhmanesh who played in ncaa. iran badly needs a 3 point shooter, and ali is a guy who can help in that department. last year before the world cup, iran went after ali but i do not know what happen after that.

thats what i always thought too....we really suck at 3s, even our so called 3 point shooters arent that reliable

im not sure if they really went after him, it coulda been typical BS iranian media...or perhaps there were some paperwork issue typical IR BS
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by persian-eagle-13 View Post

Fortunately the Basketball federation isn't as corrupted as other federations in Iran. I mean basketball gets less attention throughout the country at that's why the politicians don't interfere that much. Anyway as far as i know the federation has been after every Iranian player abroad who is at a good level. Benny koochei and Yonas Lalehzadeh(playing with Uni Irvine in the NCAA division I) are 2 examples that have came to Iran and played with the national team. I myself love to see Ali Farokhmanesh with the team as he has some exceptional talents, but from what I've heard he has turned down the federation's plea due to some personal reasons.
                          The protests after the elections i guess was the main reason to turn it down.

Anyway we should have those kind of players who are 100% Iranian with the team if we are going to do anything special in the Olympics.

Comment

ali farokhmanesh has worse defense than most of our guards. only his 3's would be beneficial. but other than that, he kinda sucked and got overhyped for beating kansas and unlv with last second shots

Comment

yup i remember reading ali farokhmenesh turned down the offer. either way i think afagh is decent with 3 pointers and he can defend.

Comment

Working...
                              X