• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Match thread: EURO 2012 Final : Italy vs. Spain

vs.

Previews

UEFA preview

In contrasting fashion the finalists have been the two most impressive performers in the tournament and, exactly three weeks after an entertaining 1-1 draw in Gdansk, their paths cross again.
    Prandelli: "I really hope we can be positive and take the game to them. Spain's strength is not only possession, but also the way they win it back. We've got to pick our moments and work a numerical superiority in certain areas."

BBC Sport

Lawrenson: "In many ways I'd like to see Italy win it because Cesare Prandelli has been tactically astute, he has got his players playing for him and I like the way his team plays. [But Spain] will be set up to keep possession as we know they do and I am not sure Italy will see enough of the ball to impose themselves on the game."
    McNulty: "I tipped Spain before the start of Euro 2012 and will not back away from them now, despite Italy's ominous improvement."
    Klinsmann: "I want to see them use a striker like Fernando Torres to lead their attack because I was a striker myself but they could win the tournament playing without one, which would just leave me speechless."

ESPN

Prandelli is not a typical Italian coach; he has introduced an overall, cohesive philosophy revolving around ball retention and passing. Spain, on the other hand, has become more cautious. Its ball retention is highly impressive and is the most proactive way of being a defensive side – but that is what La Roja is. Its record of nine consecutive clean sheets in the knockout stages of international tournaments is astonishing, but in seven of those nine games, Spain has scored only once or not at all.

Zonal Marking

Of the 30 games at Euro 2012 so far, the 1-1 draw between these two countries in the first game of Group C was probably the most fascinating in a tactical sense. A back three battled against a false nine – not a formation match-up you see very regularly.
    Spain will do their usual – relentless ball retention, moving it quickly between players, but rarely moving it forward with any speed. When Spain do have long periods on the ball, Italy are likely to break forward quickly through the forwards.
    Prandelli wants Daniele de Rossi, Claudio Marchisio and Riccardo Montolivo to push back Xavi Hernandez, Sergio Busquets and Xabi Alonso, creating space for Pirlo to dictate the game from.
    Jordi Alba could push forward more permanently and attack down the left, leaving Alvaro Arbeloa to effectively form a back three, keeping a spare man. [The Italians forwards will] probably look to block off a simple pass to the full-backs, but not actually track them – simply making them nervous about moving forward.

Football Italia

Cesare Prandelli has declared he’s “not even considered” going back to the 3-5-2 system against Spain in tomorrow’s Euro 2012 Final.

The Guardian

Xavi: "Lots of people talked about the draw [2-2 vs Croatia to elimiate Italy] but as the manager said, we never regret playing to win. We would never have thought of [reaching a pact to draw] and we will not think that even if we lose."

SB★Nation

Spain's biggest team selection revolves around the center forward position, as the other 10 starting spots are more or less set in stone. Fernando Llorente should be a consideration, but probably isn't.
    Spain projected: Casillas - Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba - Alonso, Xavi, Busquets - Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta
    Italy projected: Buffon - Bonucci, De Rossi, Chiellini - Pirlo - Abate, Marchisio, Montolivo, Balzaretti - Balotelli, Cassano

Goal.com

Italy defender Ignazio Abate, who missed the semifinal win over Germany with a muscle injury, is likely to return to fitness in time for the final, while fellow fullback Christian Maggio is also available after serving a one-match ban.
    Italy projected: Buffon - Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, Balzaretti - Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi - Montolivo - Balotelli, Cassano

Euro 2012
    Qualifying Group I 8-0-0 Qualifying Group C 8-2-0
    GC: Italy 1-1 GC: Spain 1-1
    GC: Republic of Ireland 4-0 GC: Croatia 1-1
    GC: Croatia 1-0 GC: Republic of Ireland 2-0
    QF3: France 2-0 QF4: England 0-0 AET (Pen: 4-2)
    SF1: Portugal 0-0 AET (Pen: 4-2) SF2: Germany 2-1

Background
    • Exactly three weeks after they opened their UEFA EURO 2012 finals campaigns with a 1-1 draw in Gdansk, Spain and Italy meet again in Kyiv for the right to be crowned European champions.
    • The matchday one draw means Spain have not won a competitive game against Italy since their very first meeting – though they did edge them out on penalties in the quarter-finals four years ago en route to lifting the trophy for the second time. Vicente del Bosque's side could now become the first team to successfully defend the UEFA European Championship. Italy are in the final for the first time in 12 years as they look to claim a second European crown and their first in 44 years.
    Head-to-head record
    • Spain's record in 30 games against Italy is W8 D12 L10, but seven of those victories have come in friendly games.
    • In the teams' 11 competitive fixtures, Spain's record is W1 D5 L5, including a UEFA EURO 2008 quarter-final that Spain won on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes but which is classified as a draw. The sole outright Spanish victory, a 2-0 win, came in the sides' first meeting at the 1920 Olympic Games.
    • In FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championship finals matches, Spain's record against Italy reads W0 D4 L3 – three of those draws and a loss coming in the continental competition.
    • Italy inflicted the joint heaviest defeat in Spain's history during the 1928 Olympics, beating them 7-1 in an Amsterdam replay following a 1-1 quarter-final draw. A 7-1 friendly loss against England on 9 December 1931 matched that margin.
    • The sides first met at a UEFA European Championship in 1980, playing out a 0-0 draw. Current La Roja coach Vicente del Bosque, capped 18 times, ended his Spain career at the tournament but did not play against Italy.
    • At the 1988 finals, Italy beat Spain 1-0 in the second Group 1 game in Frankfurt thanks to Gianluca Vialli's 73rd-minute goal.
    • Italy's most recent competitive victory against Spain came in the 1994 World Cup quarter-finals in Boston, Roberto Baggio's 88th-minute effort securing a 2-1 victory.

Match Info
    Kick-Off: 21:45 EEST (20:45 CEST/19:45 WEST/18:45 UTC/14:45 EDT)
    Venue: Olympic Stadium
    Capacity: 60,000
    Weather forecast:
    Referee: (Portugal)
    Sideline assistants: Bertino Miranda, Ricardo Santos
    Goalline assistants: Manuel De Sousa, Duarte Gomes

SPAIN
    Coach: Vicente del Bosque
    Squad:

Italy
    Coach: Cesare Prandelli
    Squad:

My prediction: EKBATAN will be top poster in this thread regardless of the outcome.
    Last edited by soniq; 07-01-2012, 08:05 AM.

Spain will win
    sigpic

Comment

Italia turn these sissy spaniards into a plate of bolonga.
      AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

I am for nobody
        Proud to be Abadani------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Proud to be Perspolisi

Comment

99%italia
          sigpic

Comment

I actually want Italy to win as I hate Spain!

Comment

Balotelli is off today.
              Last edited by soniq; 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

though the grass-rollers' strategy worked sometimes however, Spain players scored a second goal (40 min).
                Spain 2 - 0 Italy

Comment

The grass rollers' strategy to suddenly fall while not being hit, or play volley ball in the football pitch works.

Comment

Well italy is down to 10 men

Comment

Again, the referee didn't see how grass rollers played karate while being in the football pitch. Ramos was pushed by the defense of the grass rollers' team and there was a penalty.

Comment

though the grass rollers have been falling for nothing, beating, playing volley ball in the football pitch, Spain scored a third goal.
                        Spain 3-0 Italy

Comment

^
                          Sorry. Spain just scored one more.

Spain 4 - 0 Italy

Sad to see some grass rollers reaching the final while not deserving it.

Comment

Italy badly humiliated... KC is going to call them 4-0ers from now on.
                            sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Humiliated although with 10 men what do you expect.
                              Italy did amazing considering their place and situation kudos to them.
                              They are 12th place way behind germany portugal and netherlands, yet they put up a great display all throught the tournament.
                              I think buffon choked today.
                              the first and second goals were saveable, and cassillas stopped all the goals.
                              AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

Working...
                              X