CONCACAF could play in 2016 Copa America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONCACAF could play in 2016 Copa America

They should have done this a long time ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/concaca...9374--sow.html

New CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb met Wednesday with South American soccer officials to discuss a joint tournament for both confederations at the Copa America in 2016.

CONCACAF, which represents North and Central America and the Caribbean, holds its Gold Cup championship in odd-numbered years. Since 1999, South America's Copa America has been held every four years in the summers following World Cups. There have been two outside invitees since 1993, mostly from CONCACAF.

A partnership with CONCACAF in 2016 would celebrate the 100th anniversary of CONMEBOL, South America's federation.

The meeting with CONMEBOL's executive committee took place in Sao Paulo, Brazil, ahead of the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final between Corinthians and Boca Juniors.

Webb said ''I look forward to further talks and building a stronger relationship between our confederations.''
    Rogaine
    0%
    Propecia
    0%
    Comb Over
    0%
    Shaving the entire head
    0%
    Hair transplant
    0%
    Acceptance
    0%
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

It's a great idea, both tournaments end up inviting people from the other confederation anyways. Sometimes they even invite Japan or South Korea.

One thing that always bothered me was the fact that the United States rarely went to the Copa America. If they want to be a serious threat to win the World Cup, they should accept every invitation to the Copa America every time it comes around. Mexico accepts every invitation and they usually make it to the knock out round every time...
    "I'm here to clean the carpets. Most of the world is carpeted. And, one day, we will do the cleaning."

Comment

I have never understand the rationale behind this 'invite' policy that South America has for its continential tournament. If, say, Japan/USA or Mexico somehow managed to win the tournament how could they be declared champions of CONMEBOL? It would make a complete mockery of South American football.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaveh Ahangar View Post
        I have never understand the rationale behind this 'invite' policy that South America has for its continential tournament. If, say, Japan/USA or Mexico somehow managed to win the tournament how could they be declared champions of CONMEBOL? It would make a complete mockery of South American football.
        Well I think they do it because they only have 10 teams, meaning without guest teams it would always be 2 groups of 5. Now they can make it 3 groups of 4 and thus add a knockout stage as well.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
          Well I think they do it because they only have 10 teams, meaning without guest teams it would always be 2 groups of 5. Now they can make it 3 groups of 4 and thus add a knockout stage as well.
          Yes, and from what I understand Mexico usually send their youth team. This means great experience for their young players, but they tend to be eliminated early on in the competition so there is no real danger of them getting their hands on the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaveh Ahangar View Post
            Yes, and from what I understand Mexico usually send their youth team. This means great experience for their young players, but they tend to be eliminated early on in the competition so there is no real danger of them getting their hands on the cup.
            Mexico sent their U-22 squad in 2011, before that it has always been the A team.
            "I'm here to clean the carpets. Most of the world is carpeted. And, one day, we will do the cleaning."

Comment

they need to join north and s. america for everything! including WC qualifiers because they make it too easy for the big teams to make it. The small ones have no chance.

Comment

Working...
              X