Van Gaal takes Netherlands job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Gaal takes Netherlands job

The Dutchman has returned to the position he was removed from 11 years ago after his failure to secure the Oranje a place at the 2002 World Cup
    The Dutch Football Association (KNVB) has confirmed the return of Louis van Gaal as national team coach.

Following Bert van Marwijk's resignation as Netherlands boss after a disastrous Euro 2012 campaign, the KNVB has turned to a man it sacked just over a decade ago in the wake of the team's failure to qualify for the 2002 World Cup.
    "We are delighted to have come to an agreement," KNVB director of football Bert van Oostveen stated on Friday.

"We were looking for a coach with a lot of experience and with personal and professional charisma.

"Van Gaal has left his mark nationally and internationally and we know him as a dedicated and very motivated coach."

Meanwhile, the former Barcelona boss, who has been out of the coaching game since parting company with Bayern Munich last year, is looking forward to the task of qualifying Netherlands for the 2014 World Cup.

"I am happy that the KNVB has approached me," Van Gaal enthused. "This is the challenge I have been waiting for."

The Oranje, runners-up at the 2010 World Cup, surprisingly exited Euro 2012 before the knockout stages, having lost all three of their group games, against Denmark, Germany and Portugal.
    sigpic
Working...
X