Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fortuna Dusseldorf vs benfica postponed after Luisao physically confronted the ref

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortuna Dusseldorf vs benfica postponed after Luisao physically confronted the ref

Aug 11, 2012

Luisao has 'clear conscience' as Fortuna Dusseldorf intend to report Benfica to Uefa over referee push
    The game was postponed after the 31-year-old defender physically confronted the match official, and the German side will now make an official complaint

Fortuna Dusseldorf will report Benfica to Uefa after Saturday's friendly match between the two sides was prematurely stopped after referee Christian Fischer was physically confronted by captain Luisao.
    After Fortuna midfielder Oliver Fink received a particularly late tackle from the Eagles' Javi Garcia, Luisao approached the referee and appeared to bodycheck him. The official remained on the ground motionless for a few seconds, and was eventually carried from the pitch.

Fortuna president Peter Frymuth was less than pleased with the Benfica players' behaviour, and threatened to liaise with the German federation and the Euriopean governing body about the incident.

"I'm shocked. I've been in football for many years and have never seen anything like it. I do not understand that players from a team with the reputation of Benfica, a team that play in the Champions League, have such an attitude," Frymuth was quoted as saying by A Bola.

"Let's get help from the German federation and talk with Uefa about Luisao, and about what other players of Benfica did. I hope they are severely punished.

"We should have been celebrating for ourselves, but we are now faced with a depressing action. We are speechless, we are dead with grief."

Frymuth also revealed that the referee refused to restart the game "Because of the behaviour of the players of Benfica."

But the Brazilian international maintained his innocence post match, speaking of his shock that the referee had gone down so easily.

"I was surprised. I did not make any move of aggression. I tried to be ahead of my colleagues and I saw the referee fall. I tried to talk to the assistants still on the pitch to explain my intention," the defender was quoted as saying by Record.

"I do not fear anything. I have a clear conscience and I will continue with my work."

Subsequently, the event has been described as a "lamentable display of theatre from the referee" on the Portuguese club's official website.

The incident occurred in the 38th minute of the match at Esprit Arena, with the score still 0-0 when it was stopped.
    sigpic

He went down and stayed down as if he was shot by an AK 47! Now even referees are starting to grassroll lol
    Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

what a gay robot , he must be dentist like all refs in germany

Comment

Looks like he barely touched him and he fell like he had just been assassinated lmao.

Comment

haha so ironic

Comment

Fifa extends Luisao's two-month ban to all competitions

The Brazilian centre-back has seen his suspension furthered by world football's governing body, following his assault on a referee in a pre-season friendly against Dusseldorf

Fifa has announced that it has extended the two-month ban incurred by Benfica defender Luisao to cover all competitions.

The 31-year-old was already suspended from domestic games until November 14 after attacking a referee in a pre-season friendly against Fortuna Dusseldorf in the summer.However, in a statement released by the governing body of world football on Wednesday, the stopper will now be ineligible for Champions League matches, as well as international commitments with Brazil.

"Fifa has informed the Federacao Portuguesa de Futebol (FPF) that the Chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee has extended the two-month suspension imposed by the FPF on the player Luisao to have worldwide effect.

"This decision, which was communicated yesterday and is in accordance with Article 136 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code, comes after the Benfica captain attacked a referee during a pre-season friendly against Fortuna Dusseldorf last month.

"The player is banned from all club and international matches during this two-month period."

Luisao will consequently miss Benfica's first four Champions League fixtures away to Celtic, at home to Barcelona, and then away and at home against Spartak Moscow.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X