Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scolari named Brazil coach

29 November 2012

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been re-appointed as coach of Brazil, the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) have confirmed.
    Mano Menezes was sacked as Brazil coach last week and former Chelsea manager Scolari, who coached his country between 2001 and 2002, was installed as the early favourite to take over.

During his first reign in charge of his country, Scolari led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title, beating Germany 3-0 in the final.

Brazil will host to the 2014 World Cup.

The decision to bring him back sparked differing responses from ex-stars including Zico and Carlos Alberto.

Zico, who earlier announced he had resigned as coach of the Iraqi national team blaming a dispute over his contract, said he was pleased, and welcomed the decision to have Carlos Alberto Parreira, Brazil's winning coach at the 1994 World Cup, as technical director.

"Felipe has won so many titles he has to be respected - and the two of them together have international experience and competence so I can only wish them luck," said Zico.

Former skipper Carlos Alberto, who lifted the 1970 World Cup after starring in the 4-1 Pele-inspired thrashing of Italy, struck a note of discord, however.

"I don't know that this is Felipe's moment. He won in 2002 - but that was 2002! This year he bombed out at Palmeiras [relegated shortly after Scolari quit]."

"There are other coaches who are better equipped for the job right now - such as Titye, Muricy and [former coach] Vanderlei Luxemburgo."

"But with regard to Parreira, he knows everything," Carlos Alberto acknowledged.

In his first stint as Brazil manager, Scolari was forgiven for a pale Confederations Cup showing in 2001 after he led the Selecao to the World Cup win in Japan the following year.

He later coached Portugal and led them to the final of Euro 2004 on home soil before a Less successful spells in charge of Chelsea 2008 and Uzbek outfit Bunyodkor followed, but the 64-year-old returned to his homeland last year, winning the Copa do Brasil with Palmeiras.

Despite former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola being linked with the job, Marin has gone on record as saying that a Brazilian ought to be found who knows exactly what the job entails.

Marin said: "I have faith in our Brazilian coaches. We won five [world] titles with them. That's why it would be very difficult to call in a foreigner."

sigpic

Originally posted by palangheTM View Post
    29 November 2012

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been re-appointed as coach of Brazil, the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) have confirmed.
    Mano Menezes was sacked as Brazil coach last week and former Chelsea manager Scolari, who coached his country between 2001 and 2002, was installed as the early favourite to take over.

During his first reign in charge of his country, Scolari led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title, beating Germany 3-0 in the final.

Brazil will host to the 2014 World Cup.

The decision to bring him back sparked differing responses from ex-stars including Zico and Carlos Alberto.

Zico, who earlier announced he had resigned as coach of the Iraqi national team blaming a dispute over his contract, said he was pleased, and welcomed the decision to have Carlos Alberto Parreira, Brazil's winning coach at the 1994 World Cup, as technical director.

"Felipe has won so many titles he has to be respected - and the two of them together have international experience and competence so I can only wish them luck," said Zico.

Former skipper Carlos Alberto, who lifted the 1970 World Cup after starring in the 4-1 Pele-inspired thrashing of Italy, struck a note of discord, however.

"I don't know that this is Felipe's moment. He won in 2002 - but that was 2002! This year he bombed out at Palmeiras [relegated shortly after Scolari quit]."

"There are other coaches who are better equipped for the job right now - such as Titye, Muricy and [former coach] Vanderlei Luxemburgo."

"But with regard to Parreira, he knows everything," Carlos Alberto acknowledged.

In his first stint as Brazil manager, Scolari was forgiven for a pale Confederations Cup showing in 2001 after he led the Selecao to the World Cup win in Japan the following year.

He later coached Portugal and led them to the final of Euro 2004 on home soil before a Less successful spells in charge of Chelsea 2008 and Uzbek outfit Bunyodkor followed, but the 64-year-old returned to his homeland last year, winning the Copa do Brasil with Palmeiras.

Despite former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola being linked with the job, Marin has gone on record as saying that a Brazilian ought to be found who knows exactly what the job entails.

Marin said: "I have faith in our Brazilian coaches. We won five [world] titles with them. That's why it would be very difficult to call in a foreigner."

Do you have a source?

whoever wrote this is not very smart, brazil beat germany 2-0 in the 2002 world cup final not 3-0 lol
    Bookmark the PFDC Calendar for TM & WCQ games
    http://sites.google.com/site/pfdccalendar/
    [Click on a game to see detailed description including time]
    Villa + Messi =

Comment

Originally posted by shayan_esteghlali View Post
      Do you have a source?

whoever wrote this is not very smart, brazil beat germany 2-0 in the 2002 world cup final not 3-0 lol
      sigpic

Comment

not a bad choice i guess...was he the portugal coach in 2006 against us?

maybe ansarifard can finally leave iran and join brazil (?)

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
          not a bad choice i guess...was he the portugal coach in 2006 against us?
          Yeah, he coached Portugal between 2003 and 2008.
          I still remember how Khatibi failed to equalize in the match.

Comment

If hope they didn't pick him just based on his 2002 success, my grandmother (may she rest in peace) would've won the world cup with that Brazil team. When you have Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho all close to their best, you can't go wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X