'Qatar could lose 2022 World Cup'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Qatar could lose 2022 World Cup'

It's good to see FIFA is finally coming to its senses and seeing things my way.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17...claims?cc=5901

A high-ranking FIFA employee has been quoted as telling the Welt am Sonntag newspaper that taking the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar is a “serious option.”

The employee, who was not named by the paper, said the final meeting of FIFA's Executive Committee this year would be decisive in determining whether it can take place in the Persian Gulf state, adding: “That would allow enough time for the tournament to be reassigned.”

The decision in 2010 to award the World Cup to Qatar has provoked significant controversy.

A “workers’ charter” was announced in recent days to protect migrant employees who have been brought in to build infrastructure, but The Observer published an editorial on Sunday that said “at least 400 labourers have died on Qatar's building sites as the nation's prepares to host the World Cup” and that is “only a fraction of the true number of lives lost.”

There have also been serious concerns raised over the temperatures in the Persian Gulf state. FIFA has insisted no decision has yet been made as to whether the World Cup will be moved to the winter, but the organisation’s secretary general, Jerome Valcke, has said it will not be played in June-July and president Sepp Blatter also favours a change in schedule.

Yet moving the tournament presents a number of obstacles, including disruption to domestic leagues, a clash with the 2022 Winter Olympics and potential objections from TV broadcasters.

The FIFA employee added: “We have our backs against the wall in terms of finding the right date. There isn’t a solution in sight, even if the tournament does not take place in the summer.”

Die Welt am Sonntag adds that a report into potential corruption in the World Cup voting process is due to be released this year. Qatar has firmly denied any wrongdoing.

Despite the concerns, the chairman of FIFA's medical committee, Michel D'Hooghe, told the German newspaper that “all problems will be solved” and said: “We still have eight years left.”

That, according to the article, is the general feeling among many members of FIFA’s Executive Committee, and D'Hooghe added: “The 2022 World Cup is a huge chance for Qatar.”
    more attractive
    0%
    less attractive
    0%
    the same amount attractive
    0%
    Iranyar Redatank
    0%
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Qatar ran out of bribe money?

Comment

it will be held in qatar.

Comment

it hope so, they dont deserve to host it
        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by hzv View Post
          it will be held in qatar.
          It will be moved.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

i really hope they take it away from Qatar

Comment

Qatar does not deserve to have a World Cup but the ONE positive aspect of having the WC there is that Iran will have tons of supporters show up, probably will be a huge advantage for TM

Comment

Can't believe they gave the World Cup to that shithole

Comment

Originally posted by KiarashM View Post
                  Can't believe they gave the World Cup to that shithole
                  I can't believe it's not butter.
                  Thankfully it will be moved.

Comment

hopefully they give it to the U.S and iran plays in the stubhub center in carson so i can cheer them on

Comment

Originally posted by Beeza View Post
                      Qatar does not deserve to have a World Cup but the ONE positive aspect of having the WC there is that Iran will have tons of supporters show up, probably will be a huge advantage for TM
                      Providing we qualify to it first!

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                      I can't believe it's not butter.
                      Thankfully it will be moved.
                      Believe it!

Comment

Working...
                      X