Rugby in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby in Iran

Rugby is a growing sport in Iran and one that I think eventually will become very popular. Iran be a full member of World Rugby in 2010. Our national team currently competes in Asian Five Nations Championships in Division 2. Our league is a non-professional one established in 2002. I included a video of a recent game between 2 teams in our league.

The official website of the Iranian Rugby Federation is http://www.rugbyiran.ir/

Our official kit provider is uhlSport.

We can use this thread to track our progress.

Alborz Province the host of Iran's first Women's Tag Rugby Championships

http://www.rugbyiran.ir/d.asp?id=9965

Comment

Update on our TM 7's quest to Rio 2016. We defeated India in the final of the first round 17-12 to make the final qualification tournament. The winner will go to Rio.

Comment

interesting stuff, good luck to them
        IRI = FAILED

Comment

I hate rugby with passion. I liked it some years ago but it is so a joke sport. Only few countries play it seriously in the world (British islands, France, Italy, Argentina, NZ, South Africa and some pacific islands). That's it.

They want to make it like football but their world cup every 4 years is a true mascarade : e.g they have a team like Japan participating but half of their players are new-zealanders!! Even france team has south african, Irish and New zealand players in their national teams!

No need to invest in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
            I hate rugby with passion. I liked it some years ago but it is so a joke sport. Only few countries play it seriously in the world (British islands, France, Italy, Argentina, NZ, South Africa and some pacific islands). That's it.

They want to make it like football but their world cup every 4 years is a true mascarade : e.g they have a team like Japan participating but half of their players are new-zealanders!! Even france team has south african, Irish and New zealand players in their national teams!

No need to invest in this sport.
            that is just the opinion of you, it is played in over 138 countries and is growing very fast, ofcourse it wont be like football but many people (me included) find it a intresting game

Comment

Originally posted by irani1378 View Post
              that is just the opinion of you, it is played in over 138 countries and is growing very fast, ofcourse it wont be like football but many people (me included) find it a intresting game
              Totally!
              It may be played in 138 countries but for 95% of it, it is at a very small scale. And very few people in these countries follow it.

And contrary to football or others sports when you can see upsets (costa rica in football e.g) and small countries becoming very competitive (Iran in volleyball), in rugby it is always the same.
              The only exception is argentina but i think we will wait a long time before seeing an other country emerging.

If we keep on speaking about sports that are limited to a set of countries, i would like to see an iranian icehockey team and league. We have a big diaspora in usa canada and sweden that can help it. build some icering across iran, show NHL and worldcup on Irib, and it will start.

Comment

JFI, there is no "Iran Rugby Federation" they don't give a shit about Rugby in Iran to make it a separate federation, they are just a committee inside of "Iran Federation of Sport Associations"

this federation covers weird sports like Sepaktakraw, Jet Ski, Floorball, Airsports, Footvolley and also Rugby. now you know how much they care abut Rugby in Iran.

Comment

We definitely have alot of people with the physical attributes required to be good at rugby.
                  Best of luck to them.

Comment

missing a lot !! rugby dance ..A haka (plural is the same as singular: haka) is a traditional ancestral war cry, dance, or challenge from the Māori people ofNew Zealand.

Wonder what Islamic versiion with a touch of baba karam be like..

Originally posted by Kiarash
                    This is why I never visit the General Forum.

Comment

Iran did poorly at the 2015 Asian Rugby Championships (Division tournaments). They missed their chance to promote to Division 2. They beat Jordan 49-3 but lost to Lebanon 27-8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_A...on_Tournaments

Comment

As mentioned before rugby is played at a high level by a handful of countries in the world. Namely New Zealand(current world champions), Australia, South Africa, France, British Isles, Argentina.

Its a brutal sport that requires a tremendous amount of physicality. I personally don't think that this sport will take off in Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by ایرانی View Post
                          As mentioned before rugby is played at a high level by a handful of countries in the world. Namely New Zealand(current world champions), Australia, South Africa, France, British Isles, Argentina.

Its a brutal sport that requires a tremendous amount of physicality. I personally don't think that this sport will take off in Iran.
                          Dude, really?

You really think Iranians lack in physicality?

I think we're are one of the most superior countries in terms of physicality in all of Asia. At least better than Japan that's for sure.

There just needs to be an adequate amount of exposure. Maybe if the Iranian Rugby Team beats a top nation or something for the iranian people to pay attention to this sport.

IMHO, We have the greatest potential out of all the Asian teams to maybe one day be a real powerhouse in Rugby. But we need exposure.

Comment

Rugby is a tough sport, only the strongest guys can play it thats why i don't think the popularity will rise up, unlike football who everyone can play and be good at it small, skinny big or strong, in rugby in you are small or skinny forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepersia17 View Post
                              Dude, really?

You really think Iranians lack in physicality?

I think we're are one of the most superior countries in terms of physicality in all of Asia. At least better than Japan that's for sure.

There just needs to be an adequate amount of exposure. Maybe if the Iranian Rugby Team beats a top nation or something for the iranian people to pay attention to this sport.

IMHO, We have the greatest potential out of all the Asian teams to maybe one day be a real powerhouse in Rugby. But we need exposure.
                              Its nice to be good at every sport but it wouldn't really bother me if we don't excel in rugby.
                              do you think our boys would stand a chance against these guys?:

I would rather us produce a world class tennis player, or improve our football and basketball. Even start an ice hockey team.

We have more a chance of creating a competitive cricket team than rugby. I mean if Afghanistan can make the cricket world cup surely we can

Comment

Working...
                              X