Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so far only in athletics and Boxing they qualified themselves but in other sports they qualified a quota for Iran not themselves even though I don't expect them to replace Zahra Nemati or those girls in Shooting but this is still technically possible

and in wrestling we will have national trials in few months, whoever wins will go to Rio. Takhti Cup will be the first round of trials, top wrestlers from Takhti Cup will challenge the 2015 World team members for the Olympic spot.

Comment

Iran will have 3 male taekwondo athletes in Rio, Ashourzadeh and Khodabakhshi secured their place long time ago, tonight Sajjad Mardani also joined them but unfortunately Behnam Asbaghi lost in his last tournament and failed to qualify. poor guy missed most of the year because of his injury, otherwise he could qualify easily.

since we qualified 3 athletes, Asbaghi can't try his chance in Asian Qualfiers ! which is only open to countries with one or none qualified athletes !

but we can send 2 female athletes in Asian Qualifiers, most probably Kimia Alizadeh and Akram Khodabandeh. they have to finish in top 2 to qualify for Rio.

Comment

it seems taewondo will have a chance to win more glory in rio than wrestling. best case we get 4 medals in taekwondo and 6 in wrestling and 2 in lifting. anyone wants to rank our chances for medals?

Comment

I am very sad for Asbaghi. The guy was the best in his division before the injury which took 1 year to recover. But even if he had qualified I don't think he would have got us a medal there.

Comment

These two young stars are Iran's top chances for gold medal in Rio. If they play their usual game the gold is theirs.

They have been on the top of their weight ranking for the past year.

-80 kg
            1 Mahdi KHODABAKHSHI Iran 420.86
            2 Aaron COOK Moldova 339.93
            3 Albert GAUN Russia 311.62
            4 Lutalo MUHAMMAD Great Britain 254.45
            5 Masoud HAJIZAVAREH Iran 253.72
            6 Damon SANSUM Great Britain 242.1

58 kg
            1 Farzan ASHOURZADEH FALLAH Iran 442.1
            2 Tae-hun KIM Republic of Korea 411.04
            3 Rui BRAGANCA Portugal 288.96
            4 Levent TUNCAT Germany 254.83
            5 Cesar RODRIGUEZ Mexico 236.06
            6 Tae-moon CHA Republic of Korea 218.46

Comment

Originally posted by Ab-Gosht View Post
              it seems taewondo will have a chance to win more glory in rio than wrestling. best case we get 4 medals in taekwondo and 6 in wrestling and 2 in lifting. anyone wants to rank our chances for medals?
              In 2012 I predicted 4G,4S,4B and we got 4G,5S,3B.

It is too early to predict now but based on current form we will do significantly worse than 2012 IMO. Even the sport minister says the max we will get is 6 medals!!

I think we will get 3 gold medals in Rio and they will be from Ashourzadeh, Khodabakhsi and Sourian. We will get some silver and bronze medals in weightlifting, wrestling and quite possibly discus throw and 10m shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                discus throw
                I hope so! But i think its not even possible, not even small chance. Vali shire ehsan! He's got the fight in him! so throw baby throw

Comment

Originally posted by Ab-Gosht View Post
                  I hope so! But i think its not even possible, not even small chance. Vali shire ehsan! He's got the fight in him! so throw baby throw
                  He is having very though trainings since he got his coach back. On the other hand it was in the news that one of our Olympic medallists was convicted of rape and most people say it is Haddadi. So he might not even be allowed to go to Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                    He is having very though trainings since he got his coach back. On the other hand it was in the news that one of our Olympic medallists was convicted of rape and most people say it is Haddadi. So he might not even be allowed to go to Olympics.
                    not rape, just sexual abuse

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
                      not rape, just sexual abuse
                      Yes. Sorry. That's what I meant to say.

Comment

Two more qualified athletes for Iran !

IAAF has modified the qualification standard in few events and with this two more Iranians are already qualified for Rio ! they still don't know that in Iran lol
                        http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/oly...ry-standards-a

Ehsan Haddadi with his 65.22 throw in July 2015 (the new standard is 65.00, old standard was 66.00)
                        Mohammad Jafar Moradi in Marathon with 2:17:41 in January 2015 (new standard is 2:19:00, old standard was 2:17:00)

Comment

Great!

Comment

VOLLEYBALL: Soon, we are heading to the World qualification tournament which will take place in Japan between May 14th and June 5th. 8 teams will participate. The top 3 and best Asian team will make it to Rio 2016. With Lozano at the helm, I think we have high chances to qualify for the Olympics

France, Poland, Iran, Australia, Canada, Venezuela, China, Japan

1 Australia 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 Canada 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 China 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 France 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 Iran 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 Japan 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 Poland 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            1 Venezuela 0 0 0 0 0 MAX 0 0 MAX
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley..._qualification

Comment

Japan will play all their games at home (like always) which may play in their favour...

Comment

Does the Takhti Cup count for anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X