Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are looking terrible. I am really pissed off that the world's naturally most wealthy country can't pay for its Olympic athletes.
    This morning I read that our shooting team's most important pre-olympic tournament has been cancelled because they can't even pay for their flights. And that is the team that can easily make history and get Iran's first female medal in the Olympics.

Comment

Why is Goudarzi such a cheap dude? Why does this guy hate sports so much?
      He was an athlete before for goodness sake. You think he would at least sympathize.

Comment

Apparently Rouhani appoints Nobakht (Spokesperson of the Government) to do something about 2016 Olympics

http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13941219001310

It means even Rouhani doesn't trust his own sport minister and will use someone else for that !

Comment

And our Olympic Champion Hamid Sourian just lost in 1st round of Asian qualifier to a guy from Japan !!! knowing him, I won't surprise if he never wrestles again. there are still two more world-wide tournaments left but he was really poor today, maybe it's better to try someone else (Abdevali's younger brother probably)

Comment

Really disappointed with him. What is wrong with him this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
              Things are looking terrible. I am really pissed off that the world's naturally most wealthy country can't pay for its Olympic athletes.
              This morning I read that our shooting team's most important pre-olympic tournament has been cancelled because they can't even pay for their flights. And that is the team that can easily make history and get Iran's first female medal in the Olympics.
              This is truly disastrous.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                Really disappointed with him. What is wrong with him this year!!
                4 years ago in the same tournament he lost to another Japanese wrestler but that time it happened in the final and he still won the quota. the thing is Sourian is only good when he is 100% ready and he peaks once a year. I knew these qualifiers are even tougher than Olympic itself for him. he still can win the whole thing in Rio but I believe someone else should win the quota. he can't cut weight again for the next tournament in Mongolia in 44 days.

it seems they will send Saman Abdevali to Mongolia and if he fails, Sourian himself to Turkey for the last chance tournament. but those two tournaments will be much tougher than this one.

Comment

Omid Norouzi made it to the Olympics. Hope he gets another gold medal

Comment

Iran got 3 Olympic quotas today

Komeil Ghasemi (125 Freestyle) and Omid Noroozi (66 Greco) both made it to the final in Asian Qualifiers and therefore qualified Iran (and not necessarily themselves) for Rio.
                    beside that an Iranian guy "Hamid Reza Zouravand" also qualified for Rio in Athletics, 20km Walk. he won the quota in Asian Race Walk Championships

in wrestling, now we have quotas in 10 out of 12 men's weights, freestyle team is complete now but in Greco, they still have to win quota in 59kg and 130kg, two more tournaments left , in Mongolia and Turkey.

Comment

wow what a comeback by nourozi, i didnt expect that, him and sourian looked like they might be over the hill, damesh garm! dastesh dard nakone!

Comment

In handball qualification, we're grouped with Spain, Sweden, and Slovenia:
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handba...ournament_.232

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Fan View Post
                          Tough group.. Not much of a chance I guess
                          Team Melli - Traxtor - Barcelona

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Fan View Post
                            No chance. Our only team sport in the Olympics will be Volleyball.

Comment

^ The top 2 teams in this group will qualify for olympics.

So the question is, how good are Sweden and Slovenia? It is obvious that Spain will top the group, but who will become 2nd in the group and advance to olympics together with Spain? We just gotta beat Sweden and Slovenia....

EDIT: Forget it. Sweden is way too powerful. Look at all their medals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden..._handball_team

Comment

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
                                ^ The top 2 teams in this group will qualify for olympics.

So the question is, how good are Sweden and Slovenia? It is obvious that Spain will top the group, but who will become 2nd in the group and advance to olympics together with Spain? We just gotta beat Sweden and Slovenia....

EDIT: Forget it. Sweden is way too powerful. Look at all their medals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden..._handball_team
                                This was our best handball team in history. If we had the "traitor" in our team for the Asian qualifications we would have been in the Olympics already.

Comment

Working...
                                X