Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Hamid is qualified for the Olympics now?

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post
      So Hamid is qualified for the Olympics now?
      Yes. He'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
        Yes. He'll be there.
        Damesh garm then 👍👌

Comment

What? Ey baba he's too fast. I didn't even catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
            Someone please tell me which dudes he still needs to crush before he's in the olympics?
            Lol. He was already qualified when you posted the comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
              Any expert martial artists in Iran's Olympics team this year?
              Martial arts isn't an Olympic sport. But we have qualified athletes in Judo and Taekwondo.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                Lol. He was already qualified when you posted the comment
                I know right? Read my comment above yours

Comment

Near the end of qualification period in Judo, Iran secured 3 spots, both Mahjoub (100kg), Mollaei (81kg) narrowly entered top 22 to qualify directly which means we can have another one in 66kg in Alireza Khojasteh as continental qualifier.

still one tournament left till the end of qualification period but since only top 16 in World Ranking can participate there, it won't change anything for our qualified athletes.

Comment

How many do we have in the Olympics for sure now?
                    And how many can still qualify (including volleyball)?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                      How many do we have in the Olympics for sure now?
                      And how many can still qualify (including volleyball)?
                      47 in olympics now.

I only know about volleyball. If we were to qualify there, we will have 59.

I don't know about the other sports at the moment.

If only our volleyball qualifies, and we end up with 59 athletes, that's a new record amount of athletes since IRI.

The overall record is still 86 from 1976.

Comment

We have qualified 3 Judo Athletes to the Olympics this week.

We still have chances in some other sports including boxing.

Comment

Only few sports left

Volleyball
                          Basketball
                          Beach Volleyball
                          Archery
                          Boxing
                          Swimming
                          Athletics

Volleyball - We have a good chance but nothing is guaranteed. we have to finish in top 4 in joint World/Asian Qualifier in Japan which is possible for Iran.
                          Basketball - no chance at all, we are not even sending our best team to Italy.
                          Beach Volleyball - Iran just advanced to the final round of Asian qualifiers, there will be 8 teams in Australia and only the top team can qualify. our chance is equal with the rest. there is no favorite and almost all 8 teams are in the same level. our chance is something around 10%. nothing to count on.
                          Archery - We already qualified one female archer, in this last chance we can qualify a full team in both gender or a single male in individual event. I think we have a good chance to qualify one male archer, very slim chance in team events.
                          Boxing - There are two more tournaments left, one of amateurs and one for semi-pros . we had our best chance to qualify 2-3 boxers in Asian qualifiers , I'm not really optimistic about this one but who knows, some of them like Golara, Mehrabi or Mohammadpour are not without chance.
                          Swimming - None of our swimmers can reach the qualification standard, so FINA will give us one universality place. (something like a wild card)
                          Athletics - We already qualified 7 which is good despite the fact they made the qualification standards much harder this time. there is stll chance for 1-2 more, probably in hammer throw, or discus throw (we already have 2 discus throwers) High jump or long jump or even 800m. in athletics you always can qualify if you reach the QST in any tournament before the deadline.

I expect 3 more individual athletes plus one volleyball team , total of 62 athletes which will be a record in qualification era. before the IR revolution you could send whoever you want to the Olympics. since 1988 or 1992 they started to have qualifiers in every sports and not just team sports.

Comment

Iran just won the Greco-Roman wrestling world cup in style. The games were in Shiraz. Iran beat Russia 8-0 in the final. We also beat Turkey, Azerbaijan and Ukraine.

Comment

i have a question for the greco-roman world cup, sourian did not play, was there a reason for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan singapore View Post
                                i have a question for the greco-roman world cup, sourian did not play, was there a reason for it?
                                Yes, the reason was that he had recently played in the Olympic qualifiers and the coach didn't want to over-tire him. He is in the camp with the rest of the team now.

Comment

Working...
                                X