Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
    Mohammad Arzandeh won quota #60 for Iran in athletics, Long Jump. with one more quota in Swimming via wild card. I think we will send 61 athletes to Rio.

we still have slim chances in athletics and Boxing to qualify 1-2 more but I highly doubt it.
    What about Wrestling, after the last tournaments in Poland and Armenia ? Has the staff made their decision about remaining weigths ?

Comment

Originally posted by IRAN300 View Post
      What about Wrestling, after the last tournaments in Poland and Armenia ? Has the staff made their decision about remaining weigths ?
      nothing official yet. but they have no other option to pick Hadi over Ghasemi and he probably deserves it. it's hard to pick anybody at 65, both are terrible , at least these days, Nasiri won silver but he was far from being any good, I think they will pick him after all even though they want Mohammadi but they can't justify taking him.

they already picked Reza Yazdani for 97, that's why they didn't send him to prevent more injuries.

so here is our final lineup most probably

Rahimi
      Nasiri
      H. Yazdani
      Karimi
      R. Yazdani
      Hadi

----------

as for Greco, according to Bana, there won't be any more trial inside or outside the country, he will pick the wrestlers himself, Aliyari (98) and Zeidvand (66) both won the Poland tourney, specially Zeidvand beat some good wrestlers including the World Champion for South Korea. but still I think Bana will pick Noroozi and Rezaei
      as for 85kg, Nouri once again proved he sucks in inernational competition, I'm almost sure Akhlaghi will go to Rio.

and for 130kg , Babajanzadeh beat Ghasemi-Monjazi in quarterfinal in a match he was about to lose. he lost his semifinal to an average wrestler, it's hard to pick any of them, I would say Ghasemi-Monjazi wrestled better in general but just did a small mistake in last 10 seconds against Bashir to lose the match. this is the only weight that I see the situation 50-50. slim chance for Babajanzadeh.

Comment

Guys watch Iran-Latvia friendly live.
        http://www.sportingvideo.org/2016062...8-1363965.html

Comment

They officially announced Nasiri as a team member but Komeil and Hadi will have a wrestle-off soon to determine the last team member.

here is our freestyle team for Rio

57: Hassan Rahimi
          65: Meisam Nasiri
          74: Hassan Yazdani
          86: Alireza Karimi
          97: Reza Yazdani
          125: Parviz Hadi or Komeil Ghasemi

with Ahmad Mohammadi out, we already lost one good chance for medal, even gold !!! he was completely out of shape after his injury.

Comment

Guys watch Iran-Latvia friendly live.
            http://www.sportingvideo.org/2016062...8-1363965.html
            Result? We won against NZ some days ago

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
              Result? We won against NZ some days ago
              We lost by a 40 point margin. As usual they completely collapsed against European team after 25 min, at that time there was 15 point of difference. However I don't think that they played 100%, I only saw the last 15min but even when the match was still close Bauerman was rotating players in order to gave playing time against a big team for younger players. Also I believe Haddadi didn't played in that match, as I saw Hassanzadeh as back up for Kardoust in post 5.
              I hope that they could have 2 or 3 more matches like this, against good/very good opposition because of difference of level between Iran and European basketball, plus many young or new players in the team. Usually in WC Iran starts to play good against world level opposition in match 5 because they start to become familiar with this kind of play at international level. Unfortunately between WCs we only play against weak Asian sides and never good European teams.
              Maybe it is hard to believe but this Latvian team was good, I won't be surprised if they will finish better than last Euro (1/4) in 2015, they are very tall and athletic in post 1,2,3 but still technical and way more physical than us, plus they have good 3 points shots, same for inside payers. Also they didn't have Kristaps Porzingis today.
              As for Iran, after changes on positions made to be more competitive on international level our team looks like this:
              #1 1 Yakhchali, 2 Aslani, 3 Mashayekhi (very few time for Sajjad)
              #2 1 Jamshidi, 2 Doraghi
              #3 1 Kazemi, 2 Sedighi
              #4 1 Zangeneh/ Sahakian, plus also Hassanzadeh but Zangeneh seems number 1.
              #5 1 Haddadi, 2 Kardoust
              From what I've seen Jamshidi was
              very succesful, the only one scoring for us in a period of 6 min without points (execpt the few ones he scored). But from 25' we were completely dominated. No shots, no move or drive and many counters on our penetrations. It was disappointening, even though this team is quite new in its current form and with more international matches in 1 or 2 years we will be back on Asia top I think.

Comment

They officially announced Nasiri as a team member but Komeil and Hadi will have a wrestle-off soon to determine the last team member.

with Ahmad Mohammadi out, we already lost one good chance for medal, even gold !!! he was completely out of shape after his injury.
                Heyf, SAM in good shape was definitely a gold medal chance. I'm a big fan of him, but objectively he is our best in this weight and even in all the wrestling team. In the other side Nasiri seems to be one of these guys only good against local wrestlers.
                I saw him on a sport show in his provincial TV (Zandjan), he seemed a nice guy and was highly motivated to bring this place in NT, but still they would have picked SAM if he was in a normal shape. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he will do something brillant. He don't capable of coming after 3-4 points of difference, he is more of a defender while SAM can demolish anyone in 15 seconds.

Parviz Hadi has a big potential but he seems still inexperimented at his age, because of playing against Asian wrestlers for years. He got teached easily and stupidly by Mokhov last year, but I hope he has corrected his mistakes. If so, he can easily medal in Rio.

Comment

Optimistically I predict one silver and 2 bronze from this team! No gold medal as 2012.

Comment

Ok I have to edit what I've said.
                    It seems that Hamed has been injured on his eyebrow by a Latvian player who hit him during play and it started bleeding. Hamed was angry about it but not only the Latvian wasn't sanctionnated but Hamed was given a red card and our team was furious about it.
                    At that time the score was even, then our guys lost motivation and concentration because of this and other 1 side refering for the home team.
                    On 2nd Half Bauermann mostly sent reserve players (I saw Doraghi playing for 15min in 2nd Half). That's why they gave up that fixed match.
                    Team melli is now in Lithuania for few days before the OQT which will start on Monday for us against Mexico in Torino.

Comment

Heyf, SAM in good shape was definitely a gold medal chance. I'm a big fan of him, but objectively he is our best in this weight and even in all the wrestling team. In the other side Nasiri seems to be one of these guys only good against local wrestlers.
                      I saw him on a sport show in his provincial TV (Zandjan), he seemed a nice guy and was highly motivated to bring this place in NT, but still they would have picked SAM if he was in a normal shape. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he will do something brillant. He don't capable of coming after 3-4 points of difference, he is more of a defender while SAM can demolish anyone in 15 seconds.
                      Parviz Hadi has a big potential but he seems still inexperimented at his age, because of playing against Asian wrestlers for years. He got teached easily and stupidly by Mokhov last year, but I hope he has corrected his mistakes. If so, he can easily medal in Rio.
                      Yeah that was really sad losing Mohammadi, to me he was our best chance for the gold. but considering his current shape Nasiri is better right now. he is good I have to admit it but he never beat a big foreign wrestler.

Nasiri is a nice guy and also unlucky. he won the trials twice before 2013 and 2014 but both times they made him wrestle another round of trials which he lost. now I'm sure they regret not sending him to a major tournament before. realistically his chance is slim but he is improving at least. but one thing made me have little hope on him. we had Iranian wrestlers before who won medals in their first ever major tournament mostly benefiting from being relatively unknown. for example Ghasemi won bronze back in 2012 when he was quite unknown.

as for Hadi, he is big and physically very strong but he is just too slow, his match against Makhov was a real disappointment. remember Makhov had to wrestle Greco-Roman few days before and was probably very tired. when it comes to Rio, he will be fresh since there will be no Greco tournament for him. btw I have to say Hadi was injured back then. he has to wrestle Ghasemi on Monday to determine the Olympic team member. to me it's hard to pick any of them , Ghasemi sometimes gets surprising results but he was terrible recently.

on other hand Alireza Karimi had some great results in Armenia, winning the gold almost teching everybody. it looks like he is back on track. it will be hard for him and Hassan Yazdani to win the gold because there of Sadullaev and Burroughs but I expect medal from both of them.

Comment

I can't wait to watch the oylympics! go iran
                        I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

^^hopefully they do not "tank" like they did in the world league. they have not excuse now.
                          IRI = FAILED

Comment

^ Which world league?

Comment

In Basketball Olympic Qualification Iran lost to Greece 78-53. They weren't too bad actually.

Comment

http://video.varzesh3.com/video/1185...E%DB%8C%DA%A9)

highlights

Comment

Working...
                                X