Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
    Was it his own decision? Or was he forced to forfeit by the Iranian authorities?
    of course forced, and thats what I fear now with salimi.

Comment

Nothing will happen. They won't share a stage at the same time so he will continue.
      Drama queens would love for Iran to forfeit

Comment

Only in sports where they face directly IR forces them to quit. Even in 2008 swimming case, they said afterwards that it wasn't necessary for him to forfeit.

Comment

Originally posted by Narse View Post
          Can anyone make a overview which Iranians have the best chances of winning medals? Especially about wrestling, taekwondo, weightlifting and also volleyball. is there a possibility with volleyball? this team can beat all other teams and a volleyball medal would be one of the greatest victories in irans sport history!
          In my opinion, in the order listed below are Iran's most likely chances for a gold medal. My own prediction is 4 golds.

Farzan Ashourzadeh (Taekwondo)
          Kianoush Rostami (Weightlifting)
          Mehdi Khodabakhshi (Taekwondo)
          Sohrab Moradi (Weightlifting)
          Hamid Sourian (Wresling GR)
          Hasan Rahimi (Wrestling FS)
          Saeid Abdevali (Wresling GR)
          Sajad Mardani (Taekwondo)
          Omid Norouzi (Wresling GR)
          Hasan Yazdani (Wrestling FS)
          Najme Khedmati (Shooting)
          Elahe Ahamdi (Shooting)
          Kimia Alizadeh (Taekwondo)

Regarding volleyball, I would say we have done extremely well if we reach the semi final and getting a bronze would be the best thing ever happened in Iran's sport history. But nothing higher is expected in the presence of Brazil, France, Italy and Russia.

We also could have an eye in getting a bronze in boxing and a bronze in discus throw!!

Comment

@Navid,

sounds great! I am surprised, so another 2012 seems to be possible. First, it looked more like a second 2008. Indeed either Volleyball would be in the case of a medal be the greatest even in Iranian sport history or a female athlete winning a medal!

Comment

@Navid,

sounds great! I am surprised, so another 2012 seems to be possible. First, it looked more like a second 2008. Indeed either Volleyball would be in the case of a medal be the greatest even in Iranian sport history or a female athlete winning a medal!
              I think until 6 months ago everyone thought it will be another 2008, even sport minister said we shouldn't expect more than 6 medals in total!!! But our athletes are in fine form these days and our chances have suddenly jumped up in weightlifting after the doping scandals. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't do as good as 2012 if we don't face injuries/referee bias.

You are right. Our first female medal is also quite possible and can be a historic event.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                I think until 6 months ago everyone thought it will be another 2008, even sport minister said we shouldn't expect more than 6 medals in total!!! But our athletes are in fine form these days and our chances have suddenly jumped up in weightlifting after the doping scandals. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't do as good as 2012 if we don't face injuries/referee bias.

You are right. Our first female medal is also quite possible and can be a historic event.
                Do you know if Salimi is 100% fit? Can he win a medal? Also, what about Molaei? It seems like he will have a tough time winning a medal.

Comment

Do you know if Salimi is 100% fit? Can he win a medal? Also, what about Molaei? It seems like he will have a tough time winning a medal.
                  Based on what I saw from him a few weeks ago he will definitely be at least 90% ready for the Olympics. He snatch lifts are already good enough for a gold but he is still not pushing too hard in clean and jerk. I think he will go for the unusual C&J push instead of the usual Iranian way of scissor push to reduce his knee injury risk.
                  Molaei has a shot for a bronze if he gets lucky and other lifters don't perform or get injured like what happened in 2012 and anoushirvani got a silver!

Comment

thanks for the informations! seems like a lot of the ones from 2012 are wrestling again. soorian, noroozi, rezaezi, abdevali etc. wonder how good they are this time!

Comment

behdad can get better, also the winner for 2015 world is not there and behdad is good at clean, the problem is clean and jerk, he can do at least 110 in clean, the heightest in 2015 was 207, and clean and jerk heighest was 248, where behdad has done higher even as high as 255,260, i am confident, they will prepare him

Comment

Less than 1 month to go...

I can't believe how close the Olympics already is. It always seemed like a distant event, but now it's way more close than I initially thought.

Comment

for me olympics is the most important sporting event. it is greater than then the football world cup. atleast have the chance to shine in couple of disciplines.

Comment

for me olympics is the most important sporting event. it is greater than then the football world cup. atleast have the chance to shine in couple of disciplines.
                            Ditto.

My bad luck the times are terrible in Iran and I have to either stay up till the morning for some events or record and watch without knowing the results!! :P

Comment

yeah that sucks... are the times alright for central european time?

Comment

Yeah. Other than Taekwondo finals everything else is perfect for European timezone.

Comment

Working...
                                X