Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic watch (2016 Rio news, qualifications, athletes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
    2008 wasn't the worse Olympics we had. We won 1 gold 1 bronze.
    we had many many Olympics without gold. and we had many Olympics were we won just two medals (and no gold).

as I said earlier, Iranians tend to get too optimistic too quickly. After London 2012, now ppl take minimum 12 medals and 4 gold granted....
    So what?! Just because we got max 2 golds 50 years ago doesn't mean it should always stay like that. Just look at the likes of south korea and how their number of golds and ranking goes up every 4 years.

Comment

we had many many Olympics without gold. and we had many Olympics were we won just two medals (and no gold).

as I said earlier, Iranians tend to get too optimistic too quickly. After London 2012, now ppl take minimum 12 medals and 4 gold granted....
      Isn't that the way it should be? In Canada the expectation is you do better each olympics and if you don't then the olympics were a failure. Progress doesn't happen from just saying “bah bah cha cha"

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
      Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Of course we take them for granted Adesor jan. Wrestling is Iran's sport. If they are constantly winning the World Championships, almost every year, then it is expected that they can dominate that sport in the Olympics too. If they can't, then they just aren't as good as everyone claimed them to be. Same with weightlifting, to a lesser extent.

That means at least 3-4 golds, a couple silvers and bronze, that is our average capacity. Anything less means that we performed below our capacity. Like it or not!

Comment

Originally posted by persian-eagle-13 View Post
          ^^the problem with iran is that we have put all our eggs in few basket!! there are 28 sports in Olympic and we are represented in 15 of them. But we know only 2-3 of them we are good at!

If those 2-3 perform well, we get medals, if not we end up with nothing. We need to diversify in other sports to have a chance of getting more medals, otherwise it is the same story over and over
          We can really forget about diversifying. Iranians can't swim or run distances, and we can totally forget about our women excelling at most sports. The only sports our women can compete at is shooting, maybe archery.

We are already performing 50% below our capacity as a nation due to the fact that our women are restricted when it comes to sports. You can calculate the rest.

Originally posted by Homa View Post

Enjoy the games, guy. And don´t Forget, it´s just Sport. We have bigger Problems in Iran. Let´s just enjoy the fact that the foreign media reports about iranian sportsmen.
          No. This is the problem. Sports reflects the country's overall well-being among its people. If you excell at sports, it means your have a healthy people in your country, if not, it means your country is probably a shit hole.

Although I agree with your optimism, I can't be happy with just the fact that we are in the Olympics. We are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy below what we deserve in sports as a nation. But I'm not going to get deeper into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Homa View Post
            Another day at the olympics with the following iranian participating (All times in CET):
            Shooting Men´s 10 Meter Air Riff - Pouria Norouzian
            Time: 14:00 CET (09:00 local)
            Chances: Zero to reach the finals
            Rowing - Mahsa Javer
            Time: 15:00 CET (10:00 local)
            Chances: She has a tough race, doubt that she will perform well. But would be more than glad if she would be successfull
            Shooting Female´s 25 Meter Pistol - Golnoush Sebghatollahi
            Time: 19:00 CET (14:00 local)
            Chances: No real chances for the finals
            Judo Men´s 100 KG - Javad Mahjoub
            Time: 20:20 CET (15:20 UTC)
            Chances: I have no clue, maybe here are some experts regarding Judo. But it would be sick if we could at least come Close to a medal
            Judo Men´s 81 KG - Saeid Mollaei
            Time: 21:00 CET (16:00 UTC)
            Chances: I have no clue, maybe here are some experts regarding Judo. But it would be sick if we could at least come Close to a medal. I assume Saeid´s chances lower than those of Javad.
            Swimming Men´s 200 breast stroke - Aria Nesimishad
            Time: 23:50 CET (18:50 UTC)
            Chances: Zero. He is just 16 years old and his Qualification Time is the weakest in his heat (first one). But I would be more than proud if he could advance to the next round.
            Enjoy the games, guy. And don´t Forget, it´s just Sport. We have bigger Problems in Iran. Let´s just enjoy the fact that the foreign media reports about iranian sportsmen.
            judo is tm , not today, today is shooting, swimming and rowing

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
              So what?! Just because we got max 2 golds 50 years ago doesn't mean it should always stay like that. Just look at the likes of south korea and how their number of golds and ranking goes up every 4 years.
              I totally agree. In the 60's and 70's, we were on par with South Korea. We actually sent more athletes than them back then and we also gained more medals than the Koreans on some occassions.

Iranian athletes: 50
              Medals: 3

Korean athletes: 42
              Medals: 1

Iranian athletes: 86
              Medals: 2

Korean athletes: 50
              Medals: 6

Does that mean that the Koreans should have stayed happy with 40-50 athletes and a few bronze medals in every Olympic Games? No, they worked hard in the following decades; they even hosted an Olympic themselves; and look where they are now. They are competing with the likes of Germany and Russia for getting the most medals!!!

That means Iran could have been like that too, with the correct mentality. Unforunately, we are still thinking that we are in the 1960's; that we should be happy with our 50-60 athletes making it to the Olympics (which was good for 50 years ago, but not now). The same comparison can be made in the amount of medals.
              So yeah... in conclusion, I refuse to settle with what we are now. I want to see us perform better; anything less than London 2012 will be a disappointment.

Comment

nima is shooting 10 m pistol he is doing ok, i think he can qualify for the final

Comment

bessos

nord korea got more gold medals than spain and canada in 2012. maybe its also lack of talent!

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan singapore View Post
                    nima is shooting 10 m pistol he is doing ok, i think he can qualify for the final
                    He is on 31st place right now....

Comment

only and only weightlifting, wrestling, and taekwondo will do the job. volleyball perhaps quaterfinal, then its over for us.

really happy to see karate in 2020. that will help iran for few more medals probably!

Comment

also, iran seems not to be able to beat european or south american teams when it comes to teamsports. its always the same, always. they will beat egypt and probably cuba, but russia and poland will defeat iran.

Comment

Rowing women's single sculls (repechage) has started.

Mahsa is currently in 3rd (out of 5), this is not good. She must finish in top 2 in order to advance to the Quarter Finals.

Comment

What a disaster, she finished 3rd.

The top 2 made it to the Quarter Finals.

The Algerian finished first.

Mahsa actually performed better than the Algerian in the first round. I don't know why she couldn't this time.

Comment

By the way, there are no more events today for Iran.

Berin be karo zendegiton beresin bacheha.

Comment

there is a very bad romour going on about our boxer its so bad i cant even say it here, where does this come from? i hope its not true

Comment

Working...
                                X