Lionel Messi: Argentina forward retires from international football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lionel Messi: Argentina forward retires from international football

I think it would be a pity not to see Lionel Messi in the WC2018. In my (long) lifetime he has simply been the best.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36637591

"Lionel Messi has retired from international duty after missing in a penalty shootout as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years.

"For me, the national team is over," he said after defeat by Chile in the Copa America final. "I've done all I can. It hurts not to be a champion."
    Messi, 29, has won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues with Spanish side Barcelona.
    But his only major international honour is Olympic gold at the 2008 Games.
    As well as losing two Copa America finals on penalties to Chile, Messi was in the Argentina side beaten 1-0 by Germany in the 2014 World Cup final.
    The forward, who was been awarded the Ballon d'Or five times, was also on the losing side against Brazil in the 2007 Copa America final.
    "It's been four finals, I tried," added Messi, who made his debut for Argentina in 2005 and has played 113 times for his country.
    "It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over."
    .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

feel bad for the guy, he deserved to win something on a national level

Comment

Messi pas az baazi besyaar afsorde bood va yek tasmime ehsasaati gereft.

Inja dar Buenos Aires va Argentine hame az in tasmim shoke shodan, amma fekr mikonan ke nazar Messi mitone avaz beshe.
      DROOD BAR AHMAD KASRAVI.

Comment

What a shit penalty that was too LOOL.

Comment

Great news. Hopefully he won't revert his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
            Great news. Hopefully he won't revert his decision.
            Be nazaret chera tasmime khoobie?
            DROOD BAR AHMAD KASRAVI.

Comment

Good decision. His cronies Huguain, Zabaleta, Di Maria and co. need to go as well. Four finals and no championships, ffs.

Comment

At least now hajsafis penalty against iraq doesn't look so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

I think he retired too early. He gave up when Argentina needed him the most in the game. By not paying attention to his shooting in penalties and missing he showed he does not care anymore. He also probably got tired of his team mates not helping out meanwhile he has to carry a major load on his shoulders.

Comment

He'll be back.
                    "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

If true, that's F*cking retarded.

Dude's 28 and has at least 2 world cups left in him. There's no reason to give up after being runner-up in the last world cup and runner up in 2 Copa Americas. Seems like he's just lazy/greedy and wants to focus on his Club career and endorsement spots.

Comment

The guy can't make up his mind on how to take penalties. Half the time he commits and takes it no matter what the GK does, half the time he waits to see the GK's reaction. Someone at his caliber should know what his weaknesses are and should focus all he has to correct those weaknesses.

Personally, in my humble opinion, think he is over hyped. As they say, you are the product of your surrounding, and at club level he has many great players around him who bring out his best. At national level, where he has to carry his team, he can't handle the pressure.

Comment

What a baby... Are you kidding me? He has so much football left in him and his team needs him. But yet again you can't captain a national team if you are willing to retire after a penalty miss.
                          --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                          --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                          ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                          --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                          ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

That was a very "Ali Karimi" decision by him. You can't give up on your national team after missing a penalty. I understand that there's a lot of pressure and exceptions from him but all the best players in the world have missed a penalty. Remember Robert Bagio's penalty against Brazil that costed them the world cup?

I expect Messi to work harder and come back even stronger. That's a kinda leader Argentina needs. Someone like Ronaldo who doesn't crack under pressure by Media and that pressure actually gives him more motivation to prove other people wrong.

Comment

Hagheshe. Hagheshe ke penalty enghadar zaye shod va ba dardo narahati futbal ro dar teame mellish gozasht kenar.

Maro az Berezil ba un shutesh kard birun va ghalbamuno shekund.

That was iranian karma last night

Comment

Working...
                              X