49ers QB sits during the U.S. national anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

49ers QB sits during the U.S. national anthem

Friday night and the national anthem plays before the 49ers faced Green Bay at Levi's Stadium. Colin Kaepernick declined to stand. In doing so, he became one of the most important stories of the year in sports—and beyond.

bi-racial and adopted and raised by a white family, $30 mil in pocket with another $12 mil for current season.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_30297606/49ers-respond-kaepernick-sitting-during-national-anthem

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color,” Kaepernick has since said. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

In a statement released Saturday, the NFL said players "are encouraged but not required to" stand for the anthem.

By taking a stand for civil rights, Kaepernick, 28, joins other athletes, like the NBA's Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony and several WNBA players in using their platform and status to raise awareness to issues affecting minorities in the U.S.
    However, refusal to support the American flag as a means to take a stand has brought incredible backlash before and likely will in this instance. The NBA's Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf of the Denver Nuggets, formerly Chris Jackson before converting to Islam, refused to acknowledge the flag in protest, citing similar reasons as Kaepernick and saying that it conflicted with some of his Islamic beliefs.
    Abdul-Rauf drew the ire of fans and was briefly suspended by the NBA before a compromise was worked out between the league and player, who eventually stood with his teammates and coaches at the playing of the national anthem.
    Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, including the 49ers. He said that he did not inform the club or anyone affiliated with the team of his intentions to protest the national anthem.
    "This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

MUhammad Ali's message from the70s.

"They make a million dollars," he said. "They get 'em a Rolls Royce. They get 'em a nice home. They get 'em a white wife. 'Well, I made it. America's great.' And the rest of [African-Americans] catching hell, and he won't say nothing. But when one man of popularity can let the world know the problem, he might lose a few dollars himself telling the truth. He might lose his life.
    "But he's helping millions. But if I kept my mouth shut just because I can make millions, then this ain't doin' nothing. So I just love the freedom and the flesh and blood of my people more so than I do the money.

Comment

White Americans and tarso immigrants will not stand for what is RIGHT.

Mohammad Ali said several times WHY he did not go to Vietnam. He said the Vietnamese never called me "nigger," but white people did. He said he won't fight white peoples war. Good for Mohammad Ali. I respect him and watched three hours of his funereal in Kentucky live.

I am proud of people who put money last and their pride and the pride of their people first. Good for Colin Kaepernick.
      چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

This is the worst thing one can do in the USA, a country based on blind nationalism and somone standing up against it. Brave act no matter what, its like standing up against the mullahs in Iran. Except In Iran you will most likely be executed by the government while in USA some civilian might kill you because of it

Comment

Kudos to Colin

Comment

WHAT A TROOPER.. IMAGINE MORE PLAYERS JOIN HIM!!!!!!! LOL he says someone with curly iron has more traiining than average cop (6 months training).. LOL this is a hit!

NFL and corporate America have a big challenge on hand to resolve this. here is Colin in person..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

What about the ones who lost their lives for the country but were not happy with the politics and social injustice.. Would they have cared if flag is not honored?

Comment

Make sure you watch the link on previous post..

It's heating up in bay area... ppl burning his jerseys etc. Redneck idiots!!!!!!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Bay-Area-Responses-to-Colin-Kaepernicks-National-Anthem-Sit-Down-391664421.html

R
              andom post;
              I find it amazing how people and fans remain so ignorant with their negative response to Colin Kaepernick stance.Dumb ass statements like this is not the right platform or time for an athlete, no respect for the flag,,etc. I remember when Ali, John Carlos - Tommy Smith etc took the same stance about black people and got the same response back when and got the same criticism.The flag represents freedom of speech,,but then again some of you feel there is a limit on that// smh, More details if you need it for those of you weren't around or need a memory jolt when it was Ali, John Carlos-Tommy Smith, , or don't see the historical pattern. I see shit ain't changed. smh...

Comment

Elsewhere, NFL legend and civil rights activist Jim Brown has voiced his support for Kaepernick:
                "I listened to him and he makes all the sense in the world. He's within his rights and he's telling the truth as he sees it," Brown said. "I am with him 100 percent. ... Young men in my day really stepped up. ... These were champions for freedom, equality and justice for all humans beings, and they were educated individuals that used their education and knowledge to represent their case. So now 50 years later we have a young man saying something that was kind of taken for granted in our day. We were way past that. For me it's like going back in time."

Comment

When some members say here they are proud nationalists i scratch my head. Cause this is pretty much what you are

Comment

Last edited by Tehranto; 08-31-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Now if he were really serious he would forego his huge pay check!
                      “I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by khosro View Post
                        Now if he were really serious he would forego his huge pay check!
                        That's the thing - he basically has. No sponsor is going near him, they interviewed Football GMs, they were calling him a traitor and that they wouldn't go near him.

This is Mahmod Abdul-Rauf all over again. He was a real good player as well, but kind of got blacklisted after his stance.

Comment

The fun thing people is talking about his paycheck here and there. At least he is standing up and saying what is right he is taking some action. Compared to rest of the pro athletes that are pretty much sheep to the system and only care about their lambo.

Comment

Saints players had their opportunity to voice opinions during Monday afternoon's open locker room.
                            "It's America," safety Roman Harper said emphatically. "It's freedom of speech, so that's all I got on it. I stand up (for the national anthem). Obviously, we got different views, but he's allowed to do what he wants."
                            Backup quarterback Luke McCown said he initially felt a little shock at Kaepernick's protest, but his stance mirrored Harper's.
                            "It seems to be a clearly thought-out reason for what he's doing, and that's his right as an American, as a football player," McCown said. "That's his right. It's what makes this country great is the ability to express an opinion one way or the other."
                            Of course, not everybody in the locker room agreed.
                            While safety Kenny Vaccaro said he understood Kaepernick's desire to make a statement, he didn't agree with the approach.
                            "I just don't think that's exactly the right way to do it," Vaccaro said. "You have a lot of people overseas fighting for this country, fighting for their lives, and the national anthem honors them.
                            "I think that has nothing to do with what's going on in our country – black people, white people – it doesn't matter, really. I think you still show respect to those people who are putting their lives on the line and you find another way to express your feelings."
                            Quarterback Drew Brees told ESPN he had no issue with Kaepernick's protest, but "wholeheartedly" disagreed with the 49ers quarterback's method.

Comment

add a soccer player to the mix..

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/9/4...lin-kaepernick

Comment

Working...
                              X