Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 World Wrestling Championships (21-26 August)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 World Wrestling Championships (21-26 August)

We will have 2017 World Wrestling Championships by the end of this month in Paris at Bercy Arena.

Program:

Monday 21
    GR 71, 75, 85, 98

Tuesday 22
    GR 59, 66, 80, 130

Friday 25
    FS 57, 61, 86, 125

Saturday 26
    FS 65, 70, 74, 97

Unfortunately, we already lost some of our best chances by injury (Rahimi, Teheri, Yazdani and Ahmad Mohammadi are still recovering from various injuries).

Lineup:

Freestyle

57 Reza Atri
    61 Behnam Ehsanpour
    65 Meysam Nasiri
    70 Mostafa Hosseinkhani
    74 Peyman Yarahmadi
    86 Hassan Yazdani
    97 Amir Mohammadi
    125 Yadollah Mohebbi

All of them won trials, except Hosseinkhani which lost against Dadashpour.
    Also Komeil Ghasemi lost in trials and was also disappointing this year, while Parviz Hadi has still some issues with the federation.

Greco-Roman

59 Mehrdad Mardani
    66 Mohammad Elyasi
    71 Mohammad Ali Geraei
    75 Saeid Abdevali
    80 Youssef Ghaderian
    85 Hossein Nouri
    98 Seyed Mostafa Salehizadeh
    130 Shahab Goureh Jeyli

Mohammad Ali Geraei lost in trials but he was injured before competition. Very wise choice in my opinion, I was hopping for him to be selected even though someone else won trials in that weight. Geraei beat notorious Azeri champion Chunayev at Baku during Islamic Games earlier this year, which tells a lot about the potential of this young wrestler.

Comment

Why isnt Dadashpour competing?

I will miss Komeil Ghasemi, he has been so good this couple of years

Comment

Originally posted by Ata View Post
        Why isnt Dadashpour competing?
        I will miss Komeil Ghasemi, he has been so good this couple of years
        Well, it's interesting that Komeil is generally not good during odd years.
        In 2013 he was eliminated early and in 2015 Hadi was selected over him.

As for Dadashpour he won trials, but all 3 matches between him and Hosseinkhani were close and none of them were very convincing.
        Probably, they decided to pick Hosseinkhani because he is much more experienced, and he won bronze at last year worlds.
        Also Hosseinkhani used to be a 74 wrestler, so each time he cuts weight it is a massive effort for him. Technical committee took into consideration that he already cut weight twice this year.

Comment

By the way, this edition will have the highest ticket prices ever. They even reduced the initial price few days ago, but still it is very expensive.
          This is stupid for a country which has basically no wrestling fanbase, I expect to see only people from Iran, Russia or Turkey on the stadium under those conditions.

For those who live in France or nearby and are still interested https://tickets.parislutte2017.com/uk.

Comment

^ Dadashpour also lost to Jamal Ebadi, actually after the round robin (double elimination round robin) Hosseinkhani, Ebadi and Dadashpour finished all with one defeat and Ebadi finihed 3rd and got eliminated, Hosseinkhani and Dadashpour wrestled again twice , each of them won one match and Dadashpour won generally 2-1, but he had so many close wins even against likes of Salehi.

the same goes to 71kg Greco, Geraei lost to Borouman Aslan but beat Belfakkeh and Belfakkeh beat Aslan, in this case Geraei finished 3rd and Belfakkeh easily beat Aslan in the final. Geraei's loss to Aslan was an accident , he lost points big time on his own attacks.

btw they are making and 2nd team in both styles for the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games later this year in Turkmenistan but I think they are making a big mistake here ! I read the rulebook and we have competitions only in Olympic weights, wrestlers like Sadeghi, Dadashpour and Aslan are training for nothing ! they won't be competition for them since they are in non-Olympic weights !

Comment

I am going for the freestyle events. Anybody else here going?

Comment

Originally posted by mardonius View Post
                I am going for the freestyle events. Anybody else here going?
                I am going also, for the first day of freestyle events.

Comment

Originally posted by IRAN300 View Post
                  I am going also, for the first day of freestyle events.
                  Cool, send me a PM if you want to meet up in there

Comment

The competition starts tomorrow with 4 Greco weights

all of our wrestlers tomorrow are relatively good but two of them are facing a very hard draw.

71: Geraei has to start with Bolkvadze of Georgia, this guy is an Olympic bronze medalist , if you remember Omid Noroozi got robbed against this guy in Rio , he is tough but not that much technical, if Geraei wins his next match will be slightly easier with Armenia or Sweden, if he wins again he wll have his toughest match with Chunayev or Stabler (both former World Champion) he beat Chunayev once in Baku but I believe that was somehow an accident and Chunayev is still the heavy favorite here. Geraei is actually a very good wrestler with some trowing techniques in his arsenal but he gives up easy points sometimes.

75: Abdevali has to win 3 above average wrestlers to make it to the semifinal, he is the favorite but all of those guys are good, his 1st round opponent is from Serbia, Abdevali beat this guy only 2-2 in Rio in repechage. if he makes it to the semis , the semifinal won't be that hard for him, most of his top opponents are in top half. if he is in good shape I believe he can make it to the final.

85: Nouri also can't complain about the draw. after two good (but not great) opponents, he will face the 1st seed Lorincz in QF. Nouri beat Lorincz once few months ago in World Club Champs, his possible semifinal opponent is probably Abbasov (AZE) or Kudla (GER) . top favorite for the gold Chakvetadze is in bottom half of the draw. that's a good draw for Nouri but the problem is you can't be so sure about him. he is tough but not really experienced but he has a bad record in international competitions. I hope he uses his almost good draw to win a medal.

98: I would consider Salehizadeh as our best chance for medal in Greco-Roman but he got the worst possible draw. Olympic champion Aleksanyan in 1st round and even if he wins, next is Turkey and again Germany or Georgia. Alekasnyan was unbeatable for few year until he lost the Euro title to a guy from Norway this year and that guy is also here in Salehizadeh's half of the draw. very bad draw in general, but he is a tough guy. I hope he beats Aleksanyan. this Armenian kid usually struggles against the Iranian wrestlers (even when he wins)

Comment

^thanks a lot, buddy. Where do you watch it? Varzesh3?
                      Also, would you explain the tournament mode to me? Don't fully understand it.

Comment

Also, general question: what's the difference between the Wrestling World Cup and Wrestling World Championships? Which one has the higher status? Iran won the World Cup the last 5 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Shayan_91 View Post
                          Also, general question: what's the difference between the Wrestling World Cup and Wrestling World Championships? Which one has the higher status? Iran won the World Cup the last 5 times in a row...
                          It is Olympics, World Champs and World Cup in order of importance, also is hard to compare World Cup with any as it is team competition and teams usually use two wrestlers in each weight depending to the opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Shayan_91 View Post
                            Also, general question: what's the difference between the Wrestling World Cup and Wrestling World Championships? Which one has the higher status? Iran won the World Cup the last 5 times in a row.
                            World Cup has no much importance to be honest, only few countries take it serious. this one is the real deal , the most important tournament of the year, only after the Olympics.

World Cup is a team event, while this is individual .

IRIB made a deal with UWW, during the preliminaries, they probably put all of Iranian matches in Mat C. so we wll probably have live coverage on Mat C and IRIB Varzesh will broadcast that Mat live. but if you want to see the whole competition you have to go the UWW website, there is live coverage for all 4 mats.
                            https://unitedworldwrestling.org/eve...ampionships-27

Comment

So both Geraei and Nouri won their first matches.

Comment

Working...
                              X