Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Men's Indoor Hockey World Cup (7–11 February)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any chance we become any good at this for the Olympic version?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
      well, the potential is there but the current hockey federation doesn't care much about the outdoor version,

do u guys remember "Bahram Shafi'e" ? he is the current Iran hockey federation. he is in this position for years and even though they developed the indoor version they did almost nothing for the real field hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5vtPuJRg0

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
        I know that I have read it here somewhere. Someone correctly pointed out, that with India, Pakistan, Malaysia and Korea we would have a very big competition in Asia, leave alone the fact of missing infrastructures.

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
          well, the potential is there but the current hockey federation doesn't care much about the outdoor version,

do u guys remember "Bahram Shafi'e" ? he is the current Iran hockey federation. he is in this position for years and even though they developed the indoor version they did almost nothing for the real field hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5vtPuJRg0
          unfortunately Iran is only good on minor or useless sports

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
            unfortunately Iran is only good on minor or useless sports
            Do you refer to wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Ata View Post
              Do you refer to wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando, etc?
              Yes and indoor hockey is the prime example. We aren't good in Ice hockey or outdoor hockey who have much more exposition (NHL, winter olympic, summer olympic) but we are good in the one that is confidential.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                Yes and indoor hockey is the prime example. We aren't good in Ice hockey or outdoor hockey who have much more exposition (NHL, winter olympic, summer olympic) but we are good in the one that is confidential.
                How many countries are good in Ice hockey or outdoor hockey?

and how many countries are good in wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando?

Plz explain why Ice hockey or outdoor hockey are major sports compared to wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando that you downgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Ata View Post
                  How many countries are good in Ice hockey or outdoor hockey?
                  and how many countries are good in wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando?
                  Plz explain why Ice hockey or outdoor hockey are major sports compared to wrestling, weightlifting, Futsal, taekwando that you downgrade?
                  To answer your question, I just compare :
                  - indoor hockey with outdoor/Ice Hockey
                  - Wrestling, taekwando, etc.. with football, basketball, etc..

At least Ice Hockey is highlighted by NHL and Winter olympics. Outdoor hockey is in summer olympics. Indoor hockey has absolutely no coverage. Indoor Hockey (like fustal or beach soccer) isn't even in the olympic (maybe futsal will develop). Being good in this kind of sport is just symbolic at the moment.

About wrestling & co, I would rather have Iran being good (or much more presence) in sports like football, cycling, track & fields, basketball, handball, volleyball, tennis, even formula 1 etc.. like Spain for example.

Comment

i wouldnt draw my pride from what europeans and americans consider to be "top sports". these are hard working athletes. calling their sports "useless" is far beyond ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by versusdamon View Post
                      i wouldnt draw my pride from what europeans and americans consider to be "top sports". these are hard working athletes. calling their sports "useless" is far beyond ignorant.
                      But this also applies to sports like under-water-rugby. They also work very hard, nevertheless none of us has ever watched it or even heard any result about it.
                      I have to agree with PSGman#19:
                      Compared to other sports, globally, these sports have less attention of Press, fans, TV-Coverage, Sponsors etc.
                      This was one of the reasons why Wrestling was close to be eliminated from the Olympic games.
                      I promise you: Before knowing that Iran has a successful indoor hockey team, none of us ever watched this sport.

Comment

I live in Germany and play field hockey and floorball (another hockey variant closer to Ice Hockey). Our winter program is usually played indoor, therefore any field hockey player also plays indoor hockey and/or floorball. The same goes for basically all Northern countries in Europe.
                        I am not discussing an obvious point - that these sports are less recognized - but rather calling them "useless" just because no one is watching them. The sports we excel at also represent our traditions. Should we put our national effort into Curling and Bowling for the sake of being talked about on prime-time TV in Europe/US?

Comment

I live in Germany and play field hockey and floorball (another hockey variant closer to Ice Hockey). Our winter program is usually played indoor, therefore any field hockey player also plays indoor hockey and/or floorball. The same goes for basically all Northern countries in Europe.
                          I am not discussing an obvious point - that these sports are less recognized - but rather calling them "useless" just because no one is watching them. The sports we excel at also represent our traditions. Should we put our national effort into Curling and Bowling for the sake of being talked about on prime-time TV in Europe/US?
                          Why shouldn't we put our effort to develop us in every sport and in particular those who have more coverage?

Comment

versusdamon jan, but Hockey (no matter indoor or outdoor) doesn’t represent our tradition.
                            And nobody called them useless. Every sport which brings pride and happiness to the people has its place. But fact is, and this have also been discussed several time during Olympic games, as sport nations we have to be good in the prime-time sport events like Tennis, Basketball, Handball, Athletics and Swimming. From this success also other sport in Iran would benefit. Therefore I agree, that it´s wrong just to focus on indoor-hockey and not invest in field-hockey.
                            I guess this is the point of the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                            X