Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head of Iran's Wrestlings Federation Rasoul Khadem Resigns Due to Policy re. Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head of Iran's Wrestlings Federation Rasoul Khadem Resigns Due to Policy re. Israel

Iran wrestling officials resign over Israel competition ban

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43232511

The head of Iran's wrestling federation has resigned after criticising authorities for letting players be punished because of the country's ban on athletes competing against Israel.

Rasoul Khadem, an Olympic gold medallist, was re-elected as the Iranian Wrestling Federation head only two months ago.

Other council members have also reportedly resigned.

Iran does not recognise the state of Israel.

Wrestler Alireza Karimachiani was banned for six months after throwing a match to avoid an Israeli opponent last year.

Earlier this month, Mr Khadem criticised Iranian authorities for their stance on Israeli opponents, and called for a "fundamental solution" to the ongoing problem.

"Forcing an athlete to accept defeat or run around all night looking for a doctor's note is not right," he said.

He suggested he was forced from the post in a cryptic letter posted on the body's website on Wednesday.

After news of Khadem's departure, the councils for freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling announced they were resigning on-masse, the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA) reported.

"Khadem has sacrificed himself for wrestling and since he has stepped down, there is no point for us to remain in our post," Hossein Marashian, a member of the wrestling committee told ISNA.

Karimachiani was winning a match against his Russian opponent in November's under-23 world championships when his coach ordered him to lose, the United World Wrestling Disciplinary Chamber said.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei praised the wrestler for throwing the bout in a statement released in December.

Dozens of Iranian athletes have boycotted competitions against Israeli competitors since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

These type of pressures will squeeze the life out of the regime.

Comment

in the other article it says he is for not competing against them entirely. so I don't get his position, does he want to compete against Israelis or not? It seems he's just tired of the excuse reasons (like overweight, or losing on purpose to not face an Israeli in the next round) they make up for not competing.

Comment

I had great respect for khadem in the past. Then ever since he became head of wrestling he did some haghkhori to some of our wrestlers such as Parviz Hadi and I started seeing Khadem as a powerhungry shady and shifty character. I once again respect him and praise him for his courage and his decision to resign.

Comment

Moving it to the sports forum, so fans don't miss this thread

Great move! this laws and rules are unfair to our athletes, especially when Palestinian athletes compete against Israelis. International competitions are supposed to get people closer to each other and not making new enemies.
          Last edited by Under Lahaf; 03-01-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I was going to initially put it in the international sports forum but I thought better of it because I actually think more PFDC members would miss this news if it was posted in the international sports forum.

The general forum has a lot more foot traffic than the international sports forum. Is there a particular reason why the international sports forum gets so little views? Anyway to fix this issue?

Originally posted by Under Lahaf View Post
            Moving it to the sports forum, so fans don't miss this thread

Great move! this laws and rules are unfair to our athletes, especially when Palestinian athletes compete against Israelis. International competitions are supposed to get people closer to each other and not making new enemies.

Comment

Good for him, he's making alot of sense... its time to end this policy that has stopped some of our best athletes from progressing as they should.

Comment

Working...
              X