2019 FIBA World Cup Qualifiers - ASIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran is leading Australia by 13 at half time. good game so far

but Japan is also leading Qatar by 17. it seems our World Cup place is safe.

Comment

It is me or our players are rather small and thin (expect one) campared to basketball standards ?!

Comment

Finally qualified for the world cup

Comment

well that was a better game but let's not forget this team is far from the real Australian team. probably not even a B team. but they are good no matter what team they send.

Japan, Iran, Philippines, Jordan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and China qualified for the World Cup. NZ and Australia will battle themslves for the Oceania spot and between those Asian teams Japan is safe as the Olympic host. which means the Asian Olympic quota will be between Iran, Philippines, Jordan, Korea and China. any team finishes higher than other Asian teams in the final ranking qualifies for the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
            well that was a better game but let's not forget this team is far from the real Australian team. probably not even a B team. but they are good no matter what team they send.

Japan, Iran, Philippines, Jordan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and China qualified for the World Cup. NZ and Australia will battle themslves for the Oceania spot and between those Asian teams Japan is safe as the Olympic host. which means the Asian Olympic quota will be between Iran, Philippines, Jordan, Korea and China. any team finishes higher than other Asian teams in the final ranking qualifies for the Olympics.
            Wasn't it Iran's B team today? We didn't have many 3 pts today

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
              Wasn't it Iran's B team today? We didn't have many 3 pts today
              no, it was our A team minus few key players. Yakhchali and Jamshidi are our best 3pts shooter. both of them had a bad night from behind the arc. but they are usually much better than this.

Comment

Comment

The draw will take place on 16 March.

Africa (5)
                  Angola, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia

Asia/Oceania (8)
                  Australia, China, Iran, Japan, Jordan, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea

Europe (12)
                  Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, Montenegro, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Turkey

Americas (7)
                  Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, United States, Venezuela

Comment

we will be in pot 3 . hopefully we get an easy draw (relatively easy), even if we don't pass the first round. that's still very important to win as many games as possible and don't lose by heavy scores. the best ranked Asian team will qualify for the Olympics. and none of the Asian teams are expected to advance from the first round

PS: Australia and New Zealand won't be counted for the Olympic qualification. they battle themselves for the sole Oceania Olympic quota

Comment

wow fantastic that we finally made world cup...i remember the 2014 was an ok tournament, we won 1 and gave France and Slovenia i believe a hard time, it was real close. Spain was too much for us

what happened to Kazemi? is he not part of the team anymore? sad to see how his career went

Comment

we will be in pot 3 . hopefully we get an easy draw (relatively easy), even if we don't pass the first round. that's still very important to win as many games as possible and don't lose by heavy scores. the best ranked Asian team will qualify for the Olympics. and none of the Asian teams are expected to advance from the first round

PS: Australia and New Zealand won't be counted for the Olympic qualification. they battle themselves for the sole Oceania Olympic quota
                        But China is the host right? Doesn't that mean they will be put in pot 1 and have a much easier draw than us. I think they will be the team to qualify for the Olympics 90%.
                        Unless we amend the mess and invite back Hamed, samad and Arsalan and go with our best potential and get lucky with the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                          But China is the host right? Doesn't that mean they will be put in pot 1 and have a much easier draw than us. I think they will be the team to qualify for the Olympics 90%.
                          Unless we amend the mess and invite back Hamed, samad and Arsalan and go with our best potential and get lucky with the draw.
                          unfortunately you are right. China will have a huge advantage for being host and beside that their team is simply better than ours. but we usually play better in tournaments. because there is enough time for preparation, training etc. of course for standing a chance we need all of our players. but even with them we will be the underdog for the Olympic quota. remember we lost the Asian Games final with almost our full squad (Kazemi got injured in QF) to a not-complete China.

despite being in pot 1, this is still possible for China to get a tough group. for example Canada in pot 3 is very strong with lots of NBA players. or Nigeria in pot 4 can easily beat some of pot 2-3 teams. since there are 3 Asian and 5 African teams in pot 4. we will get one African team for sure (we can't be grouped with Asians) I really hope we get Ivory Coast or at least Angola or Tunisia. because Nigeria will be a nightmare. and from pot 2. teams like Venezuela or Dominican Rep or Puerto Rico are beatable for us. specially Venezuela. I just hope we don't get two European teams in our group , specially no USA. even though it's fun to play them but a heavy defeat will make it very hard for us if we need points difference later.

just for info. we will have 8 groups of 4 teams. top 2 advance to the next round but the bottom 2 teams still will play 2 more classification games. and after that they will rank the eliminated teams based on their win/loss records. and yeah this is stupid to qualify/eliminate teams for the Olympics based on that. but this is FIBA's brilliant/stupid idea to make World Cup much more prestigious.

and that's a sure thing we won't get Poland, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Germany or Canada in our group , they all will be in pot 3. also if I'm not wrong we won't get any of other 7 Asian/Oceania teams. I'm sure about the Asian teams but not 100% sure about Australia and New Zealand. FIBA will announce the whole draw procedure later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                            wow fantastic that we finally made world cup...i remember the 2014 was an ok tournament, we won 1 and gave France and Slovenia i believe a hard time, it was real close. Spain was too much for us

what happened to Kazemi? is he not part of the team anymore? sad to see how his career went
                            we played good with France and Serbia in 2014 but Brazil and Spain beat us badly. we almost had a comeback against France only if we had 2 more minutes .

we had a close game with Slovenia in 2010 but to be honest Slovenia was already qualified and their starters didn't play huge minutes. we have two wins in our World Cup history both of them against African teams. Tunisia 2010 and Egypt 2014. but both times we were unlucky with the draw. specially in 2014 that was a group of death. all 4 qualified teams from our group managed to win their 1/8 final games and they lost to each other in QF, France and Serbia both finished on the podium. (best possible result since gold for USA is a sure thing)

Kazemi plays for the Iranian club Petrochimi. he is a good player for them (good but not great) he has personal problems with the coach and that's why he is not invited for the last 4 games. we will see if they can solve their problems for the World Cup. and about his career. he was very talented, he could have a much better career but taking advises from some stupid friends ruined his career. now he is just another good player in the NT, not a star at all. I watch the Iranian league regularly he is not even the star player for his club.

Comment

we played good with France and Serbia in 2014 but Brazil and Spain beat us badly. we almost had a comeback against France only if we had 2 more minutes .
                              we had a close game with Slovenia in 2010 but to be honest Slovenia was already qualified and their starters didn't play huge minutes. we have two wins in our World Cup history both of them against African teams. Tunisia 2010 and Egypt 2014. but both times we were unlucky with the draw. specially in 2014 that was a group of death. all 4 qualified teams from our group managed to win their 1/8 final games and they lost to each other in QF, France and Serbia both finished on the podium. (best possible result since gold for USA is a sure thing)
                              Kazemi plays for the Iranian club Petrochimi. he is a good player for them (good but not great) he has personal problems with the coach and that's why he is not invited for the last 4 games. we will see if they can solve their problems for the World Cup. and about his career. he was very talented, he could have a much better career but taking advises from some stupid friends ruined his career. now he is just another good player in the NT, not a star at all. I watch the Iranian league regularly he is not even the star player for his club.
                              yea i remember those games well. Something happened during those 3 years Sixers kept him hostage...he should have went better leagues in Europe at least rather than Iran. He also lost his hunger of scoring and being more active offensively. For some reason he did not want to shoot even though his coaches encouraged him to. Sadly his passive and shy behavior took away from his growth. He used to be so confident and explosive...during 2010 world cup he was way more aggressive and had great games, especially the US game he had 5 steals against some of their great players. I never understood why as he got older he got more timid and not as aggressive as his younger days. Its truly a shame because he was destined for a good career, i see the players that used to be in college with him those days and they are doing relatively well in NBA now, even though those times they werent as good as AK....heyf..both him and Haddadi could have had a much better career if as you said they had better advisors and support groups.

Comment

I am happy for Iran and for all iranians playing in the numerous basket court of Iran.

For basket fans, I struggle to understand how you enjoy watching a game. Every two seconds, the game is stopped. Everytime the defender touch the ball holder you have a PK(?)

Comment

Working...
                                X