No announcement yet.

2019 FIBA World Cup Qualifiers - ASIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Havent followed our basketball for a while. Whats our squad looking like? Who are our best players right now?

Comment

FIBA announced the draw procedure . this is extremely stupid .
      http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...-cup-2019-draw

this is a bit complicated but I make it simple

we will get one team from Pot 1, one from Pot 4, and one from Pot 8

Pot 1: USA, France, Spain (China is also there but we can't be grouped with China)
      Pot 4: Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep, Venezuela, Turkey
      Pot 8: Tunisia, Ivory Coast (Japan and Jordan are there too but we can't get them)

and one thing for sure. we won't play China even in 2nd round.

USA can't be grouped with PUR, DOM or VEN. so if we get USA. we will get Turkey as well.

worst possible group: USA-TUR-TUN
      best possible group: FRA-VEN-CIV
      if we get the 2nd option. we will even stand a chance to qualify to the next round ! even PUR and DOM are also beatable for us. we just have to pray to not get USA/TUR in our group. that will kill our Olympic chance as well. beside that there is a huge difference between CIV and TUN. even though we can beat both but Tunisia is much much better.

Comment

does venezuela even have a team now? their country is a mess

i'd take anyone really.....we will probably lose most of these games anyways, so lets have some fun and play US

Sadly without Haddadi i'm not sure what we'll do

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
          does venezuela even have a team now? their country is a mess

i'd take anyone really.....we will probably lose most of these games anyways, so lets have some fun and play US

Sadly without Haddadi i'm not sure what we'll do
          I'm almost sure they will find a way to have Haddadi at the World Cup. during the qualifiers they were almost sure we can qualify even without him (and the rest) but for the World Cup. everybody knows we need all of our best players to even stand a slim chance. our coach's last interview after the Australia game was a kind of peace offer.

I said it before. Iran's goal at the World Cup is to qualify for the Olympics. the best rank Asian team will qualify and with this draw this is a sure thing we won't play China in this tournament. so even if we fail to qualify for the next round we have to win as many games as possible and even if we lose we have to lose by least possible margin. in this case any Asian team will get massacred by USA, I don't want Iran to be "that Asian team"

in a group with France, Venezuela and Ivory Coast we even stand a 40% chance to qualify for the next round. Venezuela is still a better team than Iran but I believe considering the current situation in their country and the fact they are a good matchup for Iran we stand a good chance beating them.

but there is no way we can qualify in a group with USA and Turkey , they will beat us by big margins and will kill the possible qualification chance.

I'm almost sure the other Asian teams can't pass the first round. but for China we have to see their group. they will be favorite for the Olympic spot but we still have a chance if we get a good draw.

Comment

we have our draw

Group C: Spain, Iran, Puerto Rico and Tunisia

not the worst possible draw but still a very tough draw. the worst part is China got the easiest possible draw. they couldn't ask for anything easier. I don't think we can beat both Puerto Rico and Tunisia and I think China will advance from the 1st round they are in the same group with Venezuela, Ivory Coast and Poland. which means China will qualify for the Olympics.

if we advance from the 1st round we will be grouped with 2 best teams from Group D (Italy, Serbia, Philippines and Angola) and even if we fail to advance. we have to play with two bottom teams of that group.

so if I have to make a prediction we will play Philippines and Angola in battle for 17th-32nd places at the World Cup but let's hope we can gather all of our best players and beat Puerto Rico and Tunisia. that's not totally impossible but still very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
              we have our draw

Group C: Spain, Iran, Puerto Rico and Tunisia

not the worst possible draw but still a very tough draw. the worst part is China got the easiest possible draw. they couldn't ask for anything easier. I don't think we can beat both Puerto Rico and Tunisia and I think China will advance from the 1st round they are in the same group with Venezuela, Ivory Coast and Poland. which means China will qualify for the Olympics.

if we advance from the 1st round we will be grouped with 2 best teams from Group D (Italy, Serbia, Philippines and Angola) and even if we fail to advance. we have to play with two bottom teams of that group.

so if I have to make a prediction we will play Philippines and Angola in battle for 17th-32nd places at the World Cup but let's hope we can gather all of our best players and beat Puerto Rico and Tunisia. that's not totally impossible but still very hard.
              ISn't puerto rico a small US with NBA players?

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                ISn't puerto rico a small US with NBA players?
                as far as I know only JJ Barea is their current NBA player who will play for their NT. I was following them during the qualifiers and while NBA (and Euroleague) players coule play only in 4 games. Puerto Rico wasn't that impressive. Uruguay was just one 3pointer away from eliminating Puerto Rico which they missed in last seconds. even with Barea they had hard time against Panama.

saying that. they are still a very good team and clear favorite against Iran. but IF we gather all of our best players, with good preparation. there is a chance.
                also don't underestimate Tunisia. they have NBA player in Salah Mejri.

I believe we have 40% chance against Tunisia and 25% against Puerto Rico.

Comment

J.J. Barea had a pretty bad injury and will be out for the world cup. I still think their squad (like most countries in the Americas) is good.

Iran has an outside chance of going to the next round, but for that they need more than just running Isolation plays and hoping that Haddadi gets the rebound.

Comment

Salah Mejiri is a good player.

Honestly this a super super tough draw! The only team we have a realistic team of winning is Puerto Rico, but I’m hoping for an upset in our other matches.

Comment

Goodbye Olympics. I just hope China's draw wasn't pre-picked.

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
                        Salah Mejiri is a good player.

Honestly this a super super tough draw! The only team we have a realistic team of winning is Puerto Rico, but I’m hoping for an upset in our other matches.
                        I think we already beat Tunisia or an other arab african team in a previous WC or olympics

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                          Goodbye Olympics. I just hope China's draw wasn't pre-picked.
                          well I'm sure even the Chinese coach could pick exactly the same teams. based on the World Ranking they got the weakest team of Pot 4 (33% chance), weakest team of Pot 5 (33% chance) and the weakest team of Pot 8 (50% chance) ! based on science that was 5% chance for such a dream draw.

Yeah I think it's fair to say Goodbye Olympics but let's still keep our hope alive. nothing is guaranteed in sports. maybe we beat Puerto Rico and Tunisia and China lose to both Venezuela and Poland. that's the only scenario we can qualify for the Olympics.

Comment

Iranian reports (irna) said iran qualified for 2021 U19 basketball ball world cup in Latvia. Wikipedia said the opposite. Anyone knows what happened?

Comment

Working...
                            X