2018 FIH Hockey World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
    Hockey is the 6th sport in Holland by number of members (behind gulf, fishing & Gymanstic). As for coverage on TV, I think it might be even lower.
    Basically it's a sport for the upper class in Holland that suck at Football or tennis. Professional hockey players get around 35k a year here, roughly the same amount as good amateur football players.
    The same goes for Belgium and they just trashed England 6-0 to make it to the final.

It's so unpopular that i remember that Australia had a friendly game or camp, whatever, here in Brussels. They were training in a park where there's a hockey ground in the neighborhood I was living in and it's where me and my friends were hanging out. Anyways there wasn't a single person to see this. We can compare Australia to the likes of Argentina, Brazil in football. Imagine if those teams would have an open training sessions like this, they wouldn't even be able to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's one of the good things about hockey, still a major sport participation wise not ruined by money.

Comment

Hockey is the 6th sport in Holland by number of members (behind gulf, fishing & Gymanstic). As for coverage on TV, I think it might be even lower.
        Basically it's a sport for the upper class in Holland that suck at Football or tennis. Professional hockey players get around 35k a year here, roughly the same amount as good amateur football players.
        If we go by number of members than football is th no1 sport in Australia, but Cricket is by far the most cared and universally popular sport in Australia. So not saying that you are wrong but Hockey isn't that much small of a thing as your post suggests.

Field Hockey has fallen from grace even where it was most popular India, Pakistan. It still has some varied interest but nothing like 20 years ago where it was major sport in India, Pakistan and fairly popular in Australia, Malaysia, Holland, Germany, England and South Africa.

Comment

This Dutch keeper is on his A game. Netherlands leading 2-0 right now

Comment

Originally posted by Azeem98 View Post
            If we go by number of members than football is th no1 sport in Australia, but Cricket is by far the most cared and universally popular sport in Australia. So not saying that you are wrong but Hockey isn't that much small of a thing as your post suggests.

Field Hockey has fallen from grace even where it was most popular India, Pakistan. It still has some varied interest but nothing like 20 years ago where it was major sport in India, Pakistan and fairly popular in Australia, Malaysia, Holland, Germany, England and South Africa.
            I also wrote about its popularity among people. To give you an example, this game is not being broadcasted in Holland. They have a free sport channel and that is showing City-Everton.
            Compared to Hockey, speed skating, cycling, F1 and even maybe Darts are way more popular in Holland. A good indication is the amount of money the athletes earns and if the sport is broadcasted or not.

Comment

I also wrote about its popularity among people. To give you an example, this game is not being broadcasted in Holland. They have a free sport channel and that is showing City-Everton.
              Compared to Hockey, speed skating, cycling, F1 and even maybe Darts are way more popular in Holland. A good indication is the amount of money the athletes earns and if the sport is broadcasted or not.
              F1 and Cycling are a major sport by media attention they show it everywhere even here where no one cares about it so i would never compare Hockey with these two. Hockey World Cup isn't the pinnacle of the sport its much like the Confederations Cup of Hockey. Olympics is the premier competition and most prestige also that Field Hockey is one of the most spectated competition from previous Olympics as well.

So you totally refute this article ?

https://www.thenews.com.pk/magazine/...overs-paradise

Comment

Many sports are overlooked to be honest but where the media pays attention there the money would be and vice versa. Ice Hockey gets a hell lot of media attention but never would i consider a more popular sport than Field Hockey.

Comment

Australia equalizes with 26 secs left

Comment

Netherlands wins 4-3 on penalties went to sudden death.

Comment

Originally posted by Azeem98 View Post
                      Many sports are overlooked to be honest but where the media pays attention there the money would be and vice versa. Ice Hockey gets a hell lot of media attention but never would i consider a more popular sport than Field Hockey.
                      Yes I think my and other Dutch member's judgement on the popularity of Hockey in Holland is more valid than one from a Pakistani that visited the Netherlands.

Compared to Iran, yes Hockey is waaaaay more popular in Holland than it is in Iran. However it for suuuuuure is not a sport for the masses. Knowing that 54 percent of Dutch people actively participate in sports, the 2% is nowhere near significant enough to be called a sport for the masses.
                      I brought up those numbers before (saying its the 6th sport) and you said you shouldn't look at those numbers. Now you are giving me an article that brings up exactly those numbers.
                      The article also then talks about the wages, as said before, on average they earn 35K. That's the same as some good amateur football players.
                      The only hockey players that are known by the big public are the ones that look hot, take photographs in their lingerie and for that are also invited to TV shows.

Again yes, compared to many other countries, hockey is more popular here. But there is only one popular sport among masses and that's football.

Anyways doesn't really matter. Nobody is saying Hockey is a bad or boring sport. If you enjoy watching it, you should definitely do so!

Comment

Belgium 0-0 Netherlands

Belgium wins on sudden death shootout

Our record stays for another four years

Comment

A truly even game by all means

Comment

Working...
                          X