Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sohrab Moradi needs spinal surgery

http://www.tehrantimes.com/news/4329...spinal-surgery

Given the new qualifying standards, this may push him out of the 2020 Olympics

damn he was prob biggest gold medal fav for iran in 2020

Comment

still not a sure thing but if he goes through this surgery there is a big chance he can't qualify for the Olympics. current stupid qualification system requires weightlifters at least once in a 6 months period and a total of 6 participation before the Olympics he already has just one.

this will be a big blow for Iran. let's hope he remains healthy

Comment

As if we already had too many gold medal chances. We have to worry about Moradi's injury and Mollaei's Israeli rival.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
          As if we already had too many gold medal chances. We have to worry about Moradi's injury and Mollaei's Israeli rival.
          yes unfortunately that's true. we don't have so many gold medal chances this time.

One thing worries me more, I wonder if they know the exact qualification rule. yes they know he has to participate 6 times before the Olympics but I wonder if they know it has to be "at least" one in each 6-month period. for example if Saeid Alihosseini misses the Asian Championship (the last event in first 6 month period) he can't qualify for the Olympics AT ALL.

speaking of the Olympics. I'm hopeful about our chance in Karate. even though "qualification" in Karate is proabbly even harder than winning medal in Tokyo. I hope we qualify at least 4 and they will be all medal chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
            yes unfortunately that's true. we don't have so many gold medal chances this time.

One thing worries me more, I wonder if they know the exact qualification rule. yes they know he has to participate 6 times before the Olympics but I wonder if they know it has to be "at least" one in each 6-month period. for example if Saeid Alihosseini misses the Asian Championship (the last event in first 6 month period) he can't qualify for the Olympics AT ALL.

speaking of the Olympics. I'm hopeful about our chance in Karate. even though "qualification" in Karate is proabbly even harder than winning medal in Tokyo. I hope we qualify at least 4 and they will be all medal chances.
            Wow, I am not so sure they know about this rule to be honest!! I didn't personally know and I haven't seen this in any Iranian websites so it is worrying. Please do spread them the information if you don't mind.

Yes, I agree about Karate. We have a few athletes who are on their good day almost certain for a medal even gold. I also hope our new golden Greco-roman generation can do well with Bana.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
              Wow, I am not so sure they know about this rule to be honest!! I didn't personally know and I haven't seen this in any Iranian websites so it is worrying. Please do spread them the information if you don't mind.

Yes, I agree about Karate. We have a few athletes who are on their good day almost certain for a medal even gold. I also hope our new golden Greco-roman generation can do well with Bana.
              Yeah you can read the Qualification rule here
              https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploa...ghtlifting.pdf

there are 3 periods Nov2018-Apr2019, May2019-Oct2019 and Nov2019-Apr2020. and each weightlifter has to participate at least in one event in those periods. at the end of the qualification time. best result from each period + one more better result (from any of those 3 periods) will be counted toward the qualification. which means you need ONE real result in each period. "No mark" means ZERO point. that satisfies the qualification requirement but still with a ZERO in your tally it will be hard to qualify. you still can have two "no marks" because only 4 out of 6 participation will be counted. for example Moradi even if he goes through the surgery still can participate in two events. just showing up. making weights and not lifting anything (that's what Ilya Ilyin did twice recently). that will be OK but he HAS to be ready before October 2019 to have a solid result in a tournament, otherwise he will be out of the Olympics.

only two tournaments left before the first period. Fajr Cup in Iran and the Asian Championships. Alihosseini will miss the Fajr Cup. so Asian Champs will be his very last chance. even though he didn't talk to anybody for months, apparently he wants to retire but it seems he is not sure yet. but he has to make his mind before the Asian Champs. after that there is absolutely no chance for him.

our weightlifting federation is terrible in these things. I had to correct them before. for example I knew about this Weightlifting doping rule proposal (which limited us to have only 2 weightlifters in Tokyo) for months before IWF making it official. (I think I wrote about that here too) those idiots only found out about that when IWF and IOC approved that and that was too late to make a move. I tried to warn them, send emails to several news websites in Iran. nobody listened. I will try to find a way contacting someone inside the team. because I'm really not sure if they know this.

Karate's qualification is very complicated. we have to qualify in all 3 men's kumite class. all of them are gold medal chance if we qualify. top 4 from the World Ranking will qualify and then we will have a last chance qualifier for the remaining athletes. with only 10 spots available (2-3 of them are Wild Cards. host nation. etc) in each event. it will be hard to qualify .
              right now a ranking event is ongoing in UAE. after the first day, World Champion Askari made it to the final and we will have 6 more Karateka in bronze medal match. (two of them are girls)

Comment

update on Moradi. he is going to Germany

https://www.isna.ir/news/97121910208...87%DB%8C%DA%86

Comment

Originally posted by Irannn View Post
                  update on Moradi. he is going to Germany
                  https://www.isna.ir/news/97121910208...87%DB%8C%DA%86
                  So based on the article, they say there is a chance he won't need surgery. If true and the German doctors can handle it without surgery, then he has higher chances of faster recovery. Still in weightlifting overdoing without proper recovery can ruin career (and health!). Lets hope the best for him.
                  CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X