2019 World Fencing Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 World Fencing Championships

Historical day for our fencing. today Mojtaba Abedini made it to the semifinal in World Championship and therefore secured his medal, at least a bronze. this will be Iran's first ever medal in this sport at the World Championship.

huge huge achievement for Abedini and Fencing in Iran, I hope he wins more than bronze but even this bronze tastes like gold to me.

Damesh garm ! Good luck to him in the semis and hopefully finals.

I'm always happy to see us break through into sports we're not traditionally good at.

Is the fencing program in Iran getting better? or are these just exceptional once in a generation talents? What I mean is do we have a talent production system like our volleyball teams now do?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
      Damesh garm ! Good luck to him in the semis and hopefully finals.

I'm always happy to see us break through into sports we're not traditionally good at.

Is the fencing program in Iran getting better? or are these just exceptional once in a generation talents? What I mean is do we have a talent production system like our volleyball teams now do?
      not really we just happen to have a fantastic coach in Sabre, we still suck big time in other weapons. our next best team after our men's sabre is actually our women's sabre ! we are very weak in Foil and Epee.

our coach Peyman Fakhri is the real hero here, he did fantastic job with his boys. as of today Fakhri himself is the only Iranian to win a gold medal in "Asian Championship", he was teammate with Abedini for a while.

Comment

Amazing news. Abedini should have a silver Olympic medal already if he wasn't robbed in the semis for the final point.

Comment

Abedini's bronze medal today was our first ever medal in World Championships in this sport. it made me think in how many sports we had won World Championships medal in senior level before

and my research is only about "Olympic sports"

Wrestling 58-54-64
          Weightlifting 21-11-26
          Taekwondo 14-21-22
          Judo 3-0-5
          Archery 1-1-0
          Athletics 0-0-1
          Canoeing Sprint 0-0-1
          Fencing 0-0-1

beside that I also count it for Sport Climbing and Karate, just note that these are not Olympic sports. they will be in Olympic program only for 2020 (Sport Climbing already accepted for 2024 too) but they are not core Olympic sports.
          Karate 8-7-19
          Sport Climbing 1-1-1

and I have to add, both of our medals in Archery are in "Compound events" which is not an Olympic discipline but still part of the World Championship.

beside those results we were also very close to medal in Shooting and Boxing, we had 4th place finish in shooting in 2010 by Mahlagha Jambozorg and we had been in Boxing World Championship quarterfinal (one step away from medal) at least twice by Ehsan Rouzbahani (2011) and Morteza Sepahvand (2007). another good result was 5th place of Mohsen Shadi in 2008 World Rowing Championship but that was in a non-Olympic event. also 6th place finish in 2014 World Volleyball Championship is our best result in a team sport.
          To my knowledge we had never been in top 10 in World Championship in any other sport. once again of course that's only for Olympic sports, we had won medals in non-Olympic sports like Wushu and some other Martial arts.

Comment

^
            Dont forget bronze in Futsal, Beach Football, and I believe also Kabaddi.

edited: just noticed you meant “olympic sports”..sorry.
            CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
              ^
              Dont forget bronze in Futsal, Beach Football, and I believe also Kabaddi.

edited: just noticed you meant “olympic sports”..sorry.
              Actually I had Futsal and Beach soccer in mind because they are still a part of an Olympic federation (FIFA) but yet they considered as different discipline than football , something like Swimming and Water polo, both part of FINA but different disciplines.

if I wanted to go into non-Olympic sports they list could go on forever lol there are lots of less organized non-olympic sports that you can win medal by just participating. (because of the low number of athletes) and that's impossible to collect all information about them, even for someone like me and I'm sure you guys never heard of some of them.

but if I wanted to make a quick list, we had won at least one medal in following sports
              Futsal, Beach soccer, Kabaddi, Sepaktakraw, Wushu, Vovinam, Jujitsu, Kickboxing, Pencak Silat, Inline Freestyle Skating, Kurash, Bodybuilding, Chess, Muaythai, Sambo. I'm sure the list is longer but these sports came to my mind.

Comment

^
                What is Vovinam? lol

You are right, the list is long and sports we even didn’t hear their names before,

You forgot “Tab Tab e Khamir”, “Ghayem Mooshak” and “Attal Mattal Tootooleh”
                CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

lmao 🤣🤣🤣

ستايشگر آموزگاری هستم که انديشيدن را
                  به من بياموزد و نه انديشه ها را. زرتشت

Comment

Iran's Sabre team made it to Quarterfinal. they beat Spain and then China today. further rounds will be held tomorrow. while Abedini was very bad today, Pakdaman saved the day for Iran. this match vs China was extremely important for the Olympic qualification which we won 45-41. now I can say we are almost guaranteed a team quota in Tokyo 2020.

we will battle Hungary for a semifinal spot tomorrow which will be VERY hard because they are the host and also there are two World or Olympic champions in their squad.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiEI4jRVXZI

iran vs hungary 1H into the clip

Comment

Iran finished 6th in team sabre event, disappointing because they lost badly to Hungary and Russia but still valuable points for the Olympic qualification.

Comment

Working...
                        X